Climb is a language-learning application that boosts your vocabulary by helping you to discover and memorize new words.
TEST YOUR VOCABULARY
– Find out how many English words you know.
– Get a personalized word list based on your level.
– Each word comes with a funny GIF animation.
– See word complexity compared to your level.
– Oxford dictionary with idioms, extra examples, thesaurus, and more.
– Translate to your native language with integrated Google Translate.
– Check out slang definitions from Urban Dictionary.
– Pronounce every word with the different accents.
PRACTICE TO LEARN
– Create any practice list you want.
– Practice every day with fun, bite-size exercises.
– Visual learning with GIFs, active recalling, and spaced repetition techniques.
– Reinforce your vocabulary by playing personalized language games.
– Language games together with practice quizzes result in increased learning efficacy and brain training.
GIF OF THE DAY
– Get a daily word with a funny GIF.
– Read a related news to get a better understand how the word is used in a context.
– If you like the word, add it to your practice list!
1. Reading something in Safari? Got a text with a word you don't know?
2. Simply select any word, then tap ""Share"" and choose ""Define in Climb"" to get its definition and add it to your practice list.
3. For inspiration, check out the ""Explore"" section, which has professionally-curated word lists for various levels.
iOS 14 widgets are supported!
Currently, we only support English language-learning, but we plan to add others soon. Please submit this form if you're interested in a particular language: theclimb.app/nextlanguage
Any ideas, questions or feedback? We’d love to hear it! Feel free to contact us at email@example.com
While most of the Climb's functionality is free (adding words, GIFs in the dictionary, GIF of the day), in order to continue practicing, you will be prompted to subscribe with a free 7-day trial. If you choose to purchase Subscription, payment will be charged to your iTunes account, and your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period. Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your settings in the iTunes Store after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
We offer the following subscription durations: 1 month, 3 months, and 12 months.
Terms of service: https://theclimb.app/terms/
Now you will be able to see how many people added a given word. Plus, you can like the GIF if you like it.
We hope this and other "define" tools will give you more points to consider while deciding whether to learn a word or not.
Ratings and Reviews
Great vocab app- with some flaws.
As a student, I instantly clicked when I saw the ad because I always have vocabulary words to study in class. The ’word of the day’ feature is very excellent because you can discover new words each day, and I find it very exciting to learn more words. One thing I would recommend adding is to add more variety of definitions for words with multiple. Another thing I would suggest is to make GIFs non-mandatory. Because I personally like the GIFs- I am a sucker for visual learning. But some people don't prefer the GIFs in the reviews. And one of the features of this app I really like is the feature that allows you to find the definition of a word on the web by highlighting the word. An additional feature I advise adding is to cut back on the subscription feature, and add more free extensions to the app.
Developer Response ,
Great news - the new version (1.7.2) addresses your feedback:
(1) Go to Profile -> Settings -> Quiz Settings: you can now control what questions you get in the quiz and also attributes like quiz length (5, 10, or 15 mins).
(2) We added cognitive games designed to reinforce words you learn. They're available for free.
Thank you for the review and please let us know if you need anything else.
Completely failed to assess my vocabulary
I have a decent vocabulary but the app assessed me as native/beginner. Are you kidding? Inadvertent was the word of the day. Really? The words are too easy and there doesn’t seem to be a way to adjust my level. I can’t tell the app that I already know words, can’t redo the assessment. Nothing! The games are strange. I don’t see how they help you with vocabulary. The hunt game for example. Just because I know big words doesn’t mean I can spot them as options on a grid of random and jumbled letters. I’m supposed to pull things like erudition out of the air? The gif game doesn’t change words. None of them were challenging: tiara, quicksand, etc.. these are words even young children know. And it keeps being the same set. I don’t see anything to indicate how words become “learned” and the subscription cost is high. Especially given the issues I’m having so far. The gifs associated with some words aren’t obvious in meaning. It’s frustrating to be marked wrong for a word I frequently use because I can’t tell if the gif matches. Zealous for example. The gif in question showed a drag queen performing. Could you say they were being zealous? Maybe? But I got it wrong. That gif doesn’t go with zealous.
Developer Response ,
We apologize for the frustration and inconvenience.
(1) Unfortunately, words in “Word of the Day” are not adjusted per user level yet. We really want to make it based on user level, but at this point they’re not. Currently, words are targeting people with vocabulary size of 5-15k rather than native speakers.
(2) Our games are based on the words that you add to your library. In general, our vision is to embrace self-education by allowing you to choose whatever you want to learn from 50,000 English words. We have some words for inspiration in the “Explore” section and afterwards you can add any words you want and start practicing/playing.
For the assessment, it’s certainly possible to retake it, although it requires some manual steps at this point. I’m happy to do it for you, please send the email address which you see in the “Profile” section of the app to firstname.lastname@example.org
That said, please don’t take the assessment seriously. The most accurate way to count someone's vocabulary would be to go through all the words in the dictionary and count how many you knew. Any other way is an approximation and is an estimate with a certain margin of error.
“Word Hunt” needs improving
The game “word hunt” is useless to me. It’s more like testing your memory than vocabulary. I need to see the definition to recall the words I’ve learned. Why don’t you show the definition and let user pick alphabets to spell them? Just like you do with the hints.
And there’s another problem. This app can’t automatically review the vocabulary you’ve learned in the past. When I go back to see all the vocabularies I’ve learned, I notice that I forgot lots of them. So I hope you could add “review” function to this app to help users review those vocabulary once in a while, that’ll help a lot
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the feedback. We will add a game with flashcards in 2022. We want to introduce a better system of hints in the traditional flashcard game, so we will need some time to design this properly.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Climb Apps, Inc
- 96.3 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © Climb Apps, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Climb Monthly Subscription $9.99
- Climb Yearly Subscription $59.99
- Climb Quarterly Subscription $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.