Codebook is a cross-platform password manager providing powerful and complete data encryption, a flexible data model, fast search, and multi-device replication, among many other features. Codebook for macOS is optimized for the desktop and the latest version of macOS, featuring a global keyboard shortcut for inserting your passwords into any app on your Mac.
Codebook has been protecting sensitive information on mobile devices for 19 years, since the days of the Palm Pilot! It protects your passwords and personal information from unauthorized access by would-be crackers, malicious thieves, and snoopy coworkers. Stop using the same password for all your accounts! Codebook generates strong, random passwords and keeps them for you, protected by your master password and powerful encryption.
“By far the most resilient app to password cracking” — Elcomsoft, Black Hat EU 2012
* Native Mac application updated for macOS 10.14 Mojave (min macOS 10.10)
* Fill out login forms and insert your passwords in any app via keyboard shortcut--no plugins required
* Sync over local WiFi with Codebook for iOS
* Sync over Drive or Dropbox (free Drive or Dropbox account required)
* Full text search as you type across all your records, fields, and labels
* Auto-lock timer allows you to keep Codebook temporarily unlocked while you work
* Configurable field masking to hide sensitive data from view
* Erases clipboard when information is copied to be pasted in other apps after two minutes
* Includes 200 gorgeous, color icons, custom-made for Codebook to personalize your records
* Generates two-step verification (TOTP) codes
* The History view provides you a quick look into when you last changed your passwords
* The Password Review feature checks a password for breaches in the HaveIBeenPwned.com database of over half a billion hacked passwords
* Store URL connection strings (e.g. ssh://, afp://, sftp://) to launch other applications and services directly
Use Stronger Passwords:
* Don't just store your passwords in Codebook, let Codebook generate stronger, random ones for you!
* The password generator allows you to generate random passwords from several common character sets, and adjusts for bias
* The password generator also supports Diceware passwords—both the Reinhold and Electronic Frontier Foundation variants
* The Password Review feature checks the password you're considering against HaveIBeenPwned.com while you edit
* The Password Weakness feature checks for common patterns that make passwords easy to crack
* Personalize categories to match your organizational style
* Customize your entries including usernames, passwords, websites, notes and create your own fields and labels
* Note records can be created in any category to store free-form text
* All notes can be viewed at once in the Journal view
* Store any information you want--no restrictive templates!
* Store URL connection strings (e.g. SSH, AFP, SFTP) to launch other applications directly
* Star your Favorites to get at them quickly and sort them to the top of search results
Encryption and Password Protection:
* Uses the open source, encrypted database engine SQLCipher
* 256-bit AES encryption in CBC mode protects all of your data
* 64,000 rounds of PBKDF2 SHA-1 key derivation
* Every encrypted database has its own random initialization vector
* Every page of storage has its own random initialization vector and HMAC protection
* Hardware-accelerated using CommonCrypto for speed and efficient battery consumption
More details are available at: https://www.zetetic.net/sqlcipher/
Codebook for iOS:
Codebook is designed to work seamlessly with Codebook for iOS. Sync with your mobile device over a WiFi network to keep your secure data with you at all times, even if you don't have your computer. Codebook for iOS is available as a separate purchase - visit https://www.zetetic.net/codebook/ for more details and a product tour!
Changes in this version:
* Fixes Codebook AutoFill extension not showing up in System Preferences > Extensions
Previous Changes in 4.3.0:
* Updates interface for macOS 11 Big Sur
* Adds support for Password AutoFill on Big Sur (Enabled via System Preferences > Extensions)
* Drops support for macOS older than 10.12
* Fixes improper reload of the current Suggestion on the Password Generator when changing keyboard focus (Thanks, Richard G.)
* Corrects keyboard shortcut hint for the “Show Password Generator…” option on the Fields table context menu
* Updates the Password Generator to reload the Suggestion if it contains a character added to the Exclude field
* Fixes crash that could occur if Codebook encountered an error during Local Folder Sync
* Moves the encrypted database location in your Home directory, please be sure to update any backup scripts!
* New database location: ~/Library/Group Containers/PD7G6HRMGV.net.zetetic.STRIP/Strip/default.strip/strip.db
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Loyal user for years - tops in security & customer support
This app works great on my iPhone - iPad - Mac laptop. I've used Codebook for a long time and been very satisfied. The Password manager is flexible and it's fast & easy to input new accounts and use all different passwords. The password auto-fill feature provides time-saving convenience and the newer data encryption system allows speedy syncing with my Dropbox account and Mac computer.
Rarer still is an app with worthy longevity, and app developers with a continuous improvement ethic. Dependable app all around. And they get high ratings from me on thorough (and patient!) customer support the few times I've really needed it. Kudos!
Thanks for the great product, from a long-time user
Long-time user of Codebook, going back quite a few years at this point. Through its various iterations and through Mac OS updates, Codebook has remained my first choice for password management and for keeping confidential information secure. Managing a complex sync setup between several computers, an iPhone, and an iPad has been a breeze - it just works. And in the rare occasion when I have had an issue, customer support from Zetetic has been prompt, personal, and spot-on. Thanks for a great product!
Perfect balance of needed features and not overly complex.
The app design includes enough fields to store all needed information related to a password and allows easy search and auto fill with the secret agent feature.
As previously mentioned the sync with other devices is easy and fast. I use the WiFi sync to keep my laptop computer and iPad in sync. A recent laptop upgrade required me to reinstall Codebook. Getting all my 288 password entries back was easy with a sync from the iPad.
- Zetetic LLC
- 45.4 MB
macOS 10.12 or later, 64-bit processor
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Zetetic, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.