Codeword Unlimited is an application to play the popular word game known as Codeword (also known as Cipher crosswords).
For those unfamiliar with Codeword puzzles, they provide a grid of words, similar to a normal crossword, but with no clues, rather a few initially provided letters, and a number in each square in the gird to indicate its (as yet unknown) letter. All boxes with the same number must use the same letter. From that information and the few initially provided letters it is possible to work out which words will fit in the boxes. Hence you are decoding (or decyphering) the numbers into letters to reveal the hidden words. Usually all 26 letters of the alphabet are used in the codeword, although not always (and unused letters appear crossed out in the keyboard).
1) Unlimited number of codewords!! They are created on-the-fly using the application's advanced generator engine and it's built-in word list.
2) The player decides the number of rows and columns (from 3 to 20). This allows the game to be suitable for all kinds of mobile-phones and tablets.
3) Difficultly level can be specified by the user, which determines the pool of words the generator will use. The larger the pool the greater the difficulty. There is even an early learner mode with a limited number of words, aimed at children and English language learners. The number of starting letters can also be specified. Higher scores can be obtained with more difficult codewords.
4) Selecting a square in the grid will highlight all places the same letter is used in that grid (i.e. has the same number to decipher). This is really handy and of course not possible when doing codewords in a magazine.
5) If a game is too difficult, the application provides two useful tools to help you (see below).
6) For any word in the grid for which all squares are assigned to letters, Codeword Unlimited will highlight if that word is NOT an allowed word in the word list it uses to generate its codewords. This helps you when you have mistakes in your current assignments (saving you lots of time and frustration!).
7) An on-screen keyboard means it is much easier and more comfortable to play.
8) The definition of a completed word can be viewed. This is useful if you do not know it, or you are learning a foreign language (internet connection required).
9) Choose the language of the word list, from a large range of downloadable dictionaries. 26 languages are currently available (see below).
10) Can be played in portrait or landscape mode. Just rotate your device and the display adjusts automatically.
Other similar applications want you to pay for more Codewords, but this game provides you with endless puzzles, all for free!!
Each game is assigned a difficulty level from 0 (easy) to 9 (very hard). The difficulty level is determined by the settings. Each difficulty level maintains the high scores (measured by fastest time to complete the game). The game displays the best 20 scores for each difficulty level.
If the player is in difficulty, the application provides two very useful aids. (1) The game can provide another decoded letter. (2) The game can show you potential answers for an uncompleted word. The game uses the letters that you have already decoded and displays the matching words.
Dictionaries available are English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Arabic, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Finnish, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Polish, Norwegian, Romanian, Serbian(Latin), Serbian(Cyrillic), Slovak, Slovene, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian and more coming later
1) Much more obvious and easy way of changing the game difficulty, but “custom” mode for full flexibility is still available
2) Better use of the screen to provide a bigger keyboard
3) New look to the user interface, with better buttons and improvements to the keyboard
4) New screen backgrounds that integrate across the whole screen
5) New functionality to easily switch between saved games
6) It is now possible to change the language and the dictionary at the same time
7) You can now delete dictionaries that you have downloaded, in order to recover storage
8) Games not played for one month are now moved to an “archive” area
Ratings and Reviews
Addictive and Enjoyable
Really enjoy the game and the levels of difficulty are great.
I like the game for the mind agility portion, but the penalty times for checking are excessive. I like to check often. Why be penalized for it?
This game is worth the cost. It's not that much of an output for something that can provide hours of stimulating mental activity (or not so stimulating, depending on one's mood). I really like that it can be tailored to fit whatever mood I'm in, whether I want something truly difficult, or just a little time-waster. The bonus of not having to download any extra puzzles, because the game creates all-new puzzles all the time, is just icing. So far, I've not had any problems with any of the features - the app behaves exactly as promised. Definitely worth it.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Havos Ltd
- 59.4 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Norwegian Nynorsk, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © Havos Ltd
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.