Start your exciting journey of learning Molecular Biology, Genetics, Evolution and the Chemistry of Life with Codon One!
The main course consists of modules that will teach you the essence of each subject in short sections and tiny chunks of distilled knowledge. Each section ends with a quick quiz to unlock the next one and to solidify the take-home-messages, so you will know all the most important aspects of each subject. Currently, we offer "Module 1: Chemistry of Life" and "Module 2: Genetics", but we are already working hard on "Module 3: Evolution" and "Module 4: Science History", which we will add soon one by one.
Meanwhile, take a deeper dive into the most important biological molecules, like nucleic acids and proteins and their building blocks in the molecule reference. All the structures of each of the 20 amino acids or the different nucleobases, and what each of the 64 codons encode is all hard to remember, so use this as your reference to come back to if you forget any of it.
Or test your knowledge in the separate quiz mode on the topics of biochemistry, genetics, evolution and the history of life science. We offer statistics for the quizzes you take, so you can keep track of how you are doing over time. We will constantly add more questions, but if you thought of one that we should add you can easily submit it right from the app.
Finally, we have put some fun and useful tools into the app. You can translate DNA sequences, get their reverse complement or receive useful statistics with the built-in sequence operator tool. See how changing single positions in codon triplets changes the encoded amino acid with the codon picker. And now you can encode your own message as amino acid single letter code into DNA sequence. Conversely, just translate the DNA to decode a message. These are the tools in more detail:
- Write or paste DNA sequences and perform simple operations
- Reverse the sequence, get the complement or the reverse complement
- Transcribe it to RNA or translate into its amino acid sequence using all six possible open reading frames
- Get stats for the sequence: length, GC content and melting temperature
- Play around with the codon triplet picker to see which of the 64 codons corresponds to which amino acid or termination signal
- Change bases at different positions and see how the genetic code works
- Almost all letters of the alphabet symbolize an amino acid in the single letter code and each amino acid is encoded in DNA by codon triplets.
- Write a message in amino acid sequence and get the encoded triplet sequence to hide your message in DNA.
Did you find a bug or any other problem with the app? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will take care of it. Suggestions about improvements to the app are equally welcome.
We've added more languages: Dutch, Danish, Czech and Portuguese! We've also improved existing localizations (Polish, Spanish, French, Italian and German).
Ratings and Reviews
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Daniel Gebert
- 175.7 MB
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
English, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Gebert & Mille
- In-App Purchases
- Module 2: Genetics $0.99
- Module 3: Evolution $0.99
- Module 1: Chemistry of Life $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.