Colibri is designed to maximize the value of your time in learning German. Improving upon the effectiveness of flashcards, our simple self-rating method and card scheduling algorithm has been shown to be a highly efficient way of learning a large amount of vocabulary with just a few minutes a day.
Unlike most other vocabulary apps, we focus on content quality, hiring professional translators to write original sentences for each word, with editing and review by native speakers of both German and English. We include important contextual information, including verb forms and noun articles/plurals, and nouns are even color-coded by gender as a memory aid.
The words you study are aligned to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), a guideline to separate the words from beginner to advanced vocabulary (A1-C2 levels), so you can tie your progress to a particular class or test!
- Audio playback for the German words and example sentences.
- Analyze your progress over time with graphs that display your words learned each day.
- Listing of the words you have had the greatest difficulty learning.
- 100 free words and over 2700 available for purchase in beginner,
intermediate, and advanced levels.
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
• Minor bug fixes and improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Novel approach to building vocabulary
This app isn’t simply a flashcard app; it has some smarts behind it. It works like this: It shows you a German word, and you decide what you think the English translation is (no typing or speaking needed). Then you tap once to reveal the answer. Last, you tap one of five buttons to self-rate the accuracy of your guess (I’m paraphrasing here):
1 - I had no idea.
2 - My guess was in the right direction but not correct.
3 - I got it right, but I had to think about it.
4 - I got it right immediately.
5 - I’m so confident about this word that I don’t need to see it again.
Words you rate low will be repeated more often, while words you rate high will be repeated less often. When you’ve exhausted the first 100 words (which are free), you’re ready for the next pack. A graph tracks your progress.
The creator has found this method builds vocabulary faster than some other more commonly found methods. I like it.
- Colibri Software, LLC
- 5.1 MB
Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2015 Colibri Software LLC
- In-App Purchases
- German: Complete Set $19.99
- German: Beginner Pack $8.99
- German: Advanced Pack $8.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.