Create music videos with anyone, from anywhere. Whether you’re a professional musician, shower-singer, or just like tapping your feet to the beat, there’s a spot on Collab for you.
How it works:
- Discover. Open the app to a feed of collabs, three videos stacked on top of one another that play in unison. Each collab is a maximum of 15 seconds and plays on a loop.
- Mix and match. Swipe left and right on each row of a collab to swap in a new video. We make sure that as you swipe, the videos play at exactly the right moment to be in sync.
- Record. Contribute your own recordings to any collab. Record take after take until you’ve created a clip you’re proud of.
- Publish. Once you’ve swiped or recorded the perfect combination of videos, publish it to the feed. Watch as others riff on top of your recording, give you some love, or add you as a favorite.
- Create new. Create an entirely new collab from scratch of any song you want. Publish it and watch as the Collab community adds their takes.
- Join the community. When you install Collab, you join a community of people passionate about creating music together. Everything you post on Collab is available for other community members to use, making virtual jamming possible at any time. Add creators to your favorites, so you can join in any time they post.
Collab is built by New Product Experimentation from Facebook. You must be 13+ to use Collab.
Version 1.27 includes major performance and usability improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Lots of potential but still tons of fun
Since I graduated high school, I haven’t played my instrument with others. That was over a decade ago. When playing by myself, it’s hard to gauge if I really sound nice or if I just sound nice to myself. Since downloading this app, it’s been fun getting notifications of other users collaborating with my piece. It’s fun to hear their spin on something that I worked on but it’s also nice to know someone else heard my playing and thought “I like that. I want to join in on that.”
I think any musician should download this app.
To the developers:
I saw some other reviewers that commented on how it’d be nice to tell users what key they are playing in or what chords they are using. That is critical information for anyone improvising with another player. In some clips, I think the users can play in key just by hearing but in many clips, even a lesser trained ear like mine can pick up that someone is out of key. I’ve tried to collaborate with others work and it just never sounds in key.
I would enjoy the option for longer clips. I don’t share a lot of music on the app because I’m a classically-taught player who mostly plays using sheet music. The short clips favors singers, guitarists, drummers, and other musicians who learned music in settings where improvising short riffs were more common. A longer clip option would give us class-based musicians the option to flush out a whole song.
Developer Response ,
Thanks so much for the thorough feedback and for trying Collab! We are actively working on supporting longer collabs and also want to provide key information in the future, so stay tuned for updates!
Tons of potential
I’ve seen lots of great ideas for how to make this great app even better. One thing that I personally really wish I could do was switch between genres, and change your feed. When you sign up and it allows you to pick genres that you’re interested in to show on your feed. I picked a few including metal, but there’s so few metal clips that I never see them in my feed and I don’t see an option to change my feed preferences or view certain genres. That alone would make this app so much better.
This app is the bees knees
I’ve been an avid user of Collab for about almost 2 months now and I have to say, if you’re a musician, Singer, we’re just a lover of music, you’re missing out on the best app ever created. Whether you’re a beginner or advanced, it’s a space that allows creativity, connection, and most of all fun. What’s really important is the community isn’t toxic. The community is full of people that are supportive that want to help each other create. Stumbling across this app as early as I have, I must say was a blessing in disguise.
Most importantly the developers listen. They want to make it better and easier to use, they want to make improvements and updates, and they’re good people. Yes the app is still in its preliminary stages, But even as that’s the case, it is still a blast and super fun to use. It’s only gonna get better from here!
Developer Response ,
We are so glad you found Collab, David! Thanks for your feedback and insights!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
- Usage Data
- Other Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- NPE Team LLC
- 10 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © NPE Team LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.