This app bundles the Collins English Dictionary Complete & Unabridged and the Collins Thesaurus of the English Language in one complete language and reference solution.
With more than 500,000 entries, the dictionary features the latest vocabulary based upon Collins’ 2.5 billion word database, complete with 6,000 biographical entries, key expressions and example sentences. Usage notes provide advice on using the right word in the right place, while cultural notes on life and language accompany thousands of etymologies that trace the roots of modern English.
The thesaurus, with over 377,000 entries, lets you find key synonyms for each sense, offering the most accurate alternative language. Opposites provide you with another way of expressing yourself, along with a wide range of Idioms and included phrases. Illustrative examples from real English show how the entry word is used, while the 550 subject word lists add an extra dimension to your vocabulary.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – The colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - With new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches, you can get to the desired entry faster than ever.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled.
Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you freedom to structure your studies, the dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized, including:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
• Four new colorful themes.
• Delete and sort entries with Favorites/Recent list.
• General bug fixes and improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
This app just great. However, I’d like to see the Word of the Day, instead of having the same word for each row, it would be much better if the word on lower row of the Word of the Day give a explaination somthat the user do not have to tap the section to see the explaination.
A different color theme option would be much better, and I know it is a easy thing to be done :)
You know when you spend good money on an app and hope the developers will use the money to make the app all that it can be? This app was a waste of money. I bought it because I thought it would include obscure words; like ‘athanoor’, for instance. I have not seen any evidence that they add new words. The new update opens to the thesaurus rather than the dictionary with no way I’ve found in the settings to open the dictionary by default. Speaking of the new design, the light blue is hard on the eyes and the developer would do well to replace the interface-designer with an artist. At a $40 price-point, the developer should think about adding more etymological information at some point—as this information is scant. The developers of this app are charging too much for what they offer in return. My iOS dictionary is much more comprehensive, but is not always convenient to access. My advice to buy a cheaper app. Collins is an ugly app; costs too much; and doesn’t give in return what may be obtained through cheaper means.
It is the best dictionary for all teachers and students of English..
I have used all other dictionaries, but I found this dictionary the most handy and useful compared all types of dictionaries.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.