Top-selling dictionary apps since 2008 • Every translation you need plus verb conjugations in all tenses • No internet connection required.
"For serious language students and translators who are looking for more precision." - The New York Times
Featured by Apple as "What's Hot" and "Staff Favorite"
"It is a very easy to use, tremendously helpful and valuable addition for learning the language and traveling. I have found it a pleasure to use and it has exceeded my expectations in every way and has not yet let me down in any way. A terrific app."
"I bought this dictionary in August 2010, and six months later in February 2011 I still use this Ultralingua dictionary daily. I am majoring in French and I find this dictionary very accurate and helpful. $19.99 may seem more than other French dictionaries out there, but this one is great because it doesn't require an Internet connection and it provides thousands of words. I highly recommend this dictionary."
Ultralingua makes apps for people who love languages. Our French-English dictionary has all the definitions and translations you need, along with extra features that help you get the most out of the dictionary.
The verb conjugation tool has complete conjugations for thousands of verbs in all standard forms, and the number translator converts numerals into French or English text instantly.
• Over 80,000 entries with more than 125,000 translations
• Tap-and-hold any word or phrase and choose "Speak" from the popup menu to hear that word spoken using Apple's built-in text-to-speech feature.
• Noun genders
• Slang, technical language, and regional differences in spelling and usage
• Hundreds of usage notes about troublesome constructions
• Smart search finds results in case you misspell or mistype
• Search-as-you-go displays words and narrows your selection as you type
• Conjugations for thousands of French and English verbs
• Includes all standard tenses and forms
• Smart search finds root words and catches misspellings
• Must-have reference tool for any student or language professional
• Conjugate a verb from the dictionary results by tapping it
• Translate numerals into French and English text with the number tool
• Language swapper button to switch from French-English to English-French
• Tap the history button to view the 50 most recent dictionary definitions, verb conjugations, and more in one place. Sort the list alphabetically or by date, and choose to clear the list completely or delete one entry at a time.
• No internet connection required
• Change your device settings to view the app display in English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, or German
This universal app will run on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, so you can purchase it once and load it onto all your devices. The iPad and iPhone/iPod touch versions look and behave differently to give you a great experience on every device you own. The interface will change, but you’ll always have the same outstanding language data and tools inside.
Dictionaries are available from Ultralingua for many languages, including combinations of English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, German, and more. See what else we have to offer by searching for Ultralingua in the App Store.
Follow us on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook for app news, language learning tips, and more:
• Updated for iOS 11 and iPhone X
• Data improvements
• Small bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve been struggling for weeks with those other French dictionary apps. Yes, they’re free or far less expensive, but they also don’t have as many words, nor do they have the feature most needed by beginner students - the feature that allows you to look up a verb in its conjugated form and find the root word! Yay Collins! Then I thought the text to speech feature was going to be robotic and terrible like the others, but it’s not! It’s fantastic. Now, I’m a beginner and can’t really say how accurate the pronunciation is, but it sounds French to me! Such a relief after nothing but frustration with the other 3 apps I had before. They are all deleted now, as this one has it all!
Perhaps it is simply user error/lack of technological know-how, but honestly I liked the version of this dictionary on the Internet rather than the app itself, because I have not been able to determine how to find examples of a given word used in different sentences, which was available on the free Internet version.
I bought all Collins dictionaries in every language and they are the best, however it needs iCloud syncing for favorite words.
- Ultralingua, Inc.
- 24.7 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Ultralingua, Inc. 2018
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.