Collins-Robert Concise 4+
Designed for iPad
57,000 headwords and more than 190,000 translations • more than 90,000 phrases • full conjugations for thousands of French and English verbs • hundreds of usage notes and examples • no internet connection required
Carry a dependable French and English reference everywhere you go with the latest edition of the Collins Pro French-English Translation Dictionary. This app combines detailed, professional dictionary data from HarperCollins and Le Robert with our new, easy-to-use Ultralingua interface. Our smart search goes beyond dictionary entries to give you complete conjugations of thousands of verbs in all standard forms, convert numerals into French or English text instantly, and catch common misspellings to get you to the word you are looking for faster than ever.
• Over 57,000 entries with 190,000 translations
• Over 90,000 example phrases
• Tap-and-hold any word or phrase and choose "Speak" from the popup menu to hear that word spoken using Apple's built-in text-to-speech feature.
• Genders for all French nouns
• Idioms, slang, technical language, and regional differences in spelling and usage
• Hundreds of usage notes about troublesome constructions
• Dozens of cultural notes
• Smart search results in both French and English simultaneously, in case you misspell or mistype
• Search-as-you-go displays words and narrows your selection as you type
• Tap on a word in a definition to quickly look it up, conjugate it, or copy it to your clipboard. This features recognizes inflected forms and chooses the correct language for you.
• Search the dictionary by speaking to Apple’s Siri on applicable devices
• Conjugations for thousands of French and English verbs
• Includes all standard tenses and forms
• Displays the direct translation of each conjugation when available
• Smart search finds infinitives and catches misspellings
• View verb conjugations in a single tense or expand a verb to view all conjugations in one user-friendly format
• Translates numerals into French and English text as you type
• Language swapper button to switch from French-English to English-French with ease
• Tap the history button to view the 50 most recent dictionary definitions, verb conjugations, and more in one place. Sort the list alphabetically or by date, and choose to clear the list completely or delete one entry at a time.
• Favorite individual definitions and verbs and view them by tapping on the favorites button.
• No internet connection required
• Change your device settings to view the app display in English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, or German
This universal app will run on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, so you can purchase it once and load it onto all your devices. The iPad and iPhone/iPod touch versions look and behave differently to give you a great experience on every device you own. The Collins Robert Concise French Dictionary is a must-have reference tool for students and language professionals alike.
(5 stars) "Best French dictionary ever - In the 30 years that I have been studying and using French I have yet to find a better French-English dictionary, whether in-print, online or an app. This app is totally worth the price." -User review
(5 stars) "Wonderful for an high intermediate reader like me who often needs a clarification but doesn't want to haul around a heavy dictionary. The interface is great because it anticipates the word as you type and if your French spelling is weak - like mine is - it saves a lot of time." -User review
Follow us on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook for app news, language learning tips, and more:
• Updated for iOS 13 and the iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max
• Improved navigation of verb tenses
• We have stopped collecting usage analytics
• Data improvements
• Small bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent for language, poor for usability
This app is really good for learning French. I love how words are broken down by separate meanings, how you can flip between French->English and English->French, all the wonderful examples, and all the compositional phrases!
However, it’s just not a very usable app. It’s not very intuitive flipping between verb conjugations and translations (although on the iPad it is easier because you get a split screen). When searching a word, you can’t make the keyboard go away without actually hitting search (it would be great if you could just browse the results that automatically come up as you type). To get speech features you have to highlight the words and use the iOS option that comes up, which is a pain. It’s just really confusing.
Anyway, for the sake of learning, get the app! They have a ways to go to make it more usable though.
Very practical, 🤘🔥
This app is a must. It covers many expressions, idioms and common phrases in both English and French. There are lots of positive points that you can enjoy learning with it. But there is one drawback that somehow gets really disappointing and it’s the audio option in iphone platform that you have to hold the word to let the « speak » option pop up. Instead they can have a simple icon for listening to prononciation just by touching it. Hope it gets done in update.
Change of heart
I've gone from disliking this app to using it every day. I was wrong before. I should have taken time to get to know it and understand it, and now I have. I value it not only for helping me with my French pronunciation, but for providing a seemingly endless number of relevant examples for almost every word I look up. This app has become indispensable to me, and I'm grateful for everything it provides! Keep those examples coming!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Ultralingua, Inc.
- 18.4 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © Ultralingua, Inc. 2020
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.