Color Inspector is designed to help colorblind and other vision impaired people differentiate and identify difficult colors by evaluating live video to describe the color in view. With options like zoom, varying sample sizes, and torch settings*, it's easy to make sure you've got the right name for the right color.
Color Inspector features full VoiceOver support for its live color processing.
Please note that metallic and other shiny surfaces can easily take on the colors of the objects reflected in them and of the light around them. If you find colors that you believe were misidentified, please feel free to submit them as described in the application.
*Not all functionality is available on all devices.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
- New Feature: VoiceOver support. The app now has labels and hints for all actionable UI elements and also reads colors aloud as they are processed. Live color name announcements can be paused by magic tapping (two finger double tap). Instructions are available at startup and additional instructions are available in the info menu for those utilizing VoiceOver.
- New Feature: Hex values for colors. Tap the color indicator in the lower left to pause live color processing and the hex value will be shown.
- Now (finally) supports larger iPhone screen sizes without zooming.
- Improved color accuracy.
- Improved performance.
Ratings and Reviews
This color identifier is easy to use. It's color categories are very broad, which are a blessing and a curse. On the plus side, the results are very reproducible (so you won't observe 50 shades of gray on a single chair). On the minus side, the program seems overly liberal with it's naming of "brown" colors. This app needs a few extra color classes for brown-orange colors, but otherwise good.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the excellent feedback. I'll take a look at sampling some additional brown-like colors and improve the differentiation. If you have specific samples that you think would be particularly illustrative, please feel free to send them to my support email - (email@example.com)
Great app for color blindness
This app is perfect for someone that’s colorblind that doesn’t need to know the exact Pantone color I have an item. When I’m looking through my closet I need to know if a shirt is green or blue or black, I don’t need to know that it’s cerulean. It’s a free app with an optional donation. They even allow you to pick the donation, which I think makes you give more. Thanks to the creator for making my life easier. I no longer have to have an associate walk around the store with me or scour through the tag looking for a color. Thanks!
Thank for making this!
This is the most simplest color identifier app I have used I just love it. It doesn’t have thousands of shades of color which I think is useless anyway . I always had a difficulty in identifying colors and plus I am color blind so this app is of huge help. Even though it’s 3 years old it works flawlessly. Just one request please don’t remove it from the App Store else I’ll be doomed. Thank you so much :)
The developer, Aaron L'Heureux, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Aaron L'Heureux
- 20.7 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2016 Aaron L'Heureux
- In-App Purchases
- Color Inspector Upgrade $0.99
- Color Inspector Upgrade $2.99
- Color Inspector Upgrade $1.99
- Color Inspector Upgrade $4.99