Match colors in all those exciting color spaces...nah, let's say it like it is; color matching pain and misery for any designer who doesn’t get enough of it at work.
Now you can spend your commute struggling with chromatic precision and perception.
Work countless hours only to be fired by some talentless hack, although don't worry, apparently you can easily get another job working for a different talentless hack.
...but hey, there is an upside, you might actually improve your understanding of color mixing.
Color Strain is a casual time-based color matching game with virtual career progression. Combine color channels in various modes in an endless stream of progressively harder color scenarios. At release these color modes are RGB, CMYK and Grayscale.
How to play:
- Press the button(s) across the bottom of the screen to increase that channel [in RGB that's value / in CMYK that's ink / in Grayscale it's density] in the color mix of the background color, trying to match the circle in the centre of the screen. Don't fret you don't have to be perfect, as we have included a bit of tolerance in the match.
- If you put too much of a particular channel into the color mix, a warning will display around the central color circle, prompting you to press it to globally reduce all of the channels in the mix.
- As you match colors you will get “Assist” ability points. These can be spent to stop the timer and get visual clues (on the channel inputs) guiding you to a match.
- The line across the top of the screen indicates your progress to the next level of your design career.
- As you progress through your career your ego will be significantly enlarged, but sadly the rate at which you earn “Assist” points will be reduced (you always get an “Assist” for your first match).
- There is a pause in-game; just hit the number counter at the top.
If you don't trust our default matching algorithm, or your eyes are a bit wonky, you can always change the matching method in the options menu.
Possible Future Features:
- Extra color modes (YUV, HSV/HSB),
- Load custom 3D LUTs,
- Social posting of your color career (it will be a pretty swatch style thingy),
- “Talentless Hack” mode – you retain a fraction of XP but XP thresholds are much higher too,
- Pantone and brand color matching (think Pepsi blue, Cadbury purple, Coke red); obviously this will need to be under the radar so it will probably be manifest as “User Colour Challenges”,
- Lots of IAPs to milk you like the cash cow that you are,
.. and finally an uber brutal mode where you mix in the 14 Pantone base pigments!
Please send your bug reports and criticisms to email@example.com
Minor game improvements.
- Adam Walker
- 7 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © Adam Walker Studio
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.