Do you want the most features? the best reading experience? Comic Zeal 9 has them both. It was the first comic reader in the App Store, it’s still the best.
• Organize your collection how YOU want. Put series inside series, use dividers to manage long lists.
• Automatically sorts comics into their series.
• Super fast reading view with two-page mode and assisted panning.
• Page position lock so you don’t see the same borders page after page.
• Does the right thing when you rotate your device, many comics have a mixture of portrait and landscape pages.
• Lightning fast search, by comic title and tags.
• Parental lock for individual series.
IN APP PURCHASES
For a very reasonable price you can also unlock
• Comic Finders, create smart series that show you unread comics from all over your library.
• Seven new, gorgeous themes.
• WI-Fi using a web browser on a PC or Mac.
• Drop Box, iCloud Drive, etc using iOS document sharing.
• AirDrop from a Mac.
• iTunes via USB or Wi-FI
Comic Zeal features the innovative slider, it's a pointer, a container and a toolbox, all in one. You can push stuff into it, then go anywhere in your collection and drag it out. It's an incredibly fast way to organize your comics.
With the slider you can:
• Reorder comics, put them into the slider in the order you want them, then drag them out.
• Create reading lists (by making copies of comics that don't take up any space on your device)
• Create series and dividers right in the app. Dividers are lists that can hold comics, series and even other dividers.
• Tap the ‘i’ info icon for comics, series and dividers. You can rename entries, sort a series or mark items as read or unread.
• When zooming, hold the gesture for half a second. Comic Zeal will lock that zoom and position when you turn the page, it's a great way to hide borders.
Comics used in the screenshots:
'Escape from Planet Nowhere', © 2010 Otis Frampton, http://planet-nowhere.com/
Please note, there is a problem with Google Drive’s iOS extension that doesn’t allow you to open comic and other files that they consider to be ’non-standard’. You can read more about it here: https://goo.gl/EKVRbN and here https://goo.gl/XXYRQI . You can open Comics from the Google Drive app itself using the 'Open in ...' option, just not directly from Comic Zeal.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
One big change in this update and some bug fixes:
- Imports now happen completely in the background.
- Fixed a couple of crashing bugs.
Comics are imported super quick now, can you let me know if you need some kind of download queue display? @bitolithic on twitter.
Ratings and Reviews
One of the Better Ones
Been using this for a couple years. I prefer comicat, but that's only for droid os. For Apple, this is good. Nice little reader with an easy to use organizational system.
Also allows for uploading over wifi. Uploading over wifi however is often slow and you have to watch it because the app will crash during upload. Fix this feature and the rating would quickly go from a 3 star to 4 1/2.
Other than that, I wish that the app would work with multiple devices, meaning an option to have uploads go to cloud storage so if a comic is on your iPad, you could access it via your iPhone.
IOS 12 and WebP Based Comics
I love Comic Zeal. I’m hoping for one last very desired update. It appears now after purchasing Comic Zeal for my new IPad that it isn’t able to display WebP pages under IOS 12 (thanks Apple :-(). They display fine in Comic Zeal under IOS 10. Under 12 they all show as blank pages. My Chunky reader can display the same WebP comics fine under IOS 12 making this a Comic Zeal reader issue. I really do like Comic Zeal. It continues to Work great for JPEG based Comics in both IOS 10 & 12. Here’s hoping that someday the creators magically fix this IOS 12 issue. The cloud downloader under IOS 12 is really fast compared to IOS 10 - a big plus.
This may be the best comic book viewer on iPad or iPhone. I use it daily on my iPad and while I find my iPhone SE screen to small to use that's no fault of the app.( I will say the iPhone 6 screen is fine for reading comics on )
It is very simple to import comics onto the app with a few options so you can figure what's best for you. I personally use my browser to import the files. It's faster then all the other apps I've used in the past and the interface of the app itself is elegant and intuitive. Can't recommend this app enough to all comic book fans.
The developer, Bitolithic Pty Ltd, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Bitolithic Pty Ltd
- 39.5 MB
- Requires iOS 8.2 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.2 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.2 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2015 Bitolithic Pty Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Extra Themes $1.99
- Unread Comic Finder $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.