Do you want the most features? the best reading experience? Comic Zeal 9 has them both. It was the first comic reader in the App Store, it’s still the best.
• Organize your collection how YOU want. Put series inside series, use dividers to manage long lists.
• Automatically sorts comics into their series.
• Super fast reading view with two-page mode and assisted panning.
• Page position lock so you don’t see the same borders page after page.
• Does the right thing when you rotate your device, many comics have a mixture of portrait and landscape pages.
• Lightning fast search, by comic title and tags.
• Parental lock for individual series.
IN APP PURCHASES
For a very reasonable price you can also unlock
• Comic Finders, create smart series that show you unread comics from all over your library.
• Seven new, gorgeous themes.
• WI-Fi using a web browser on a PC or Mac.
• Drop Box, iCloud Drive, etc using iOS document sharing.
• AirDrop from a Mac.
• iTunes via USB or Wi-FI
Comic Zeal features the innovative slider, it's a pointer, a container and a toolbox, all in one. You can push stuff into it, then go anywhere in your collection and drag it out. It's an incredibly fast way to organize your comics.
With the slider you can:
• Reorder comics, put them into the slider in the order you want them, then drag them out.
• Create reading lists (by making copies of comics that don't take up any space on your device)
• Create series and dividers right in the app. Dividers are lists that can hold comics, series and even other dividers.
• Tap the ‘i’ info icon for comics, series and dividers. You can rename entries, sort a series or mark items as read or unread.
• When zooming, hold the gesture for half a second. Comic Zeal will lock that zoom and position when you turn the page, it's a great way to hide borders.
Comics used in the screenshots:
'Escape from Planet Nowhere', © 2010 Otis Frampton, http://planet-nowhere.com/
Please note, there is a problem with Google Drive’s iOS extension that doesn’t allow you to open comic and other files that they consider to be ’non-standard’. You can read more about it here: https://goo.gl/EKVRbN and here https://goo.gl/XXYRQI . You can open Comics from the Google Drive app itself using the 'Open in ...' option, just not directly from Comic Zeal.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
One big change in this update and some bug fixes:
- Imports now happen completely in the background.
- Fixed a couple of crashing bugs.
Comics are imported super quick now, can you let me know if you need some kind of download queue display? @bitolithic on twitter.
Ratings and Reviews
How To Sort Of Fix It!
OK, I have used this for years. It is the best! However, the new Systems break it on both iPads and iPhones. I have seen the same bug before. It has to do with some sort of new graphic routines. So, when you open Comic Zeal to the home page, stop. Do not proceed except to then open the settings. When the settings are open choose to turn on and off or to change anything that is to do with the appearance such as change the color of the THEME. Just make sure it is an appearance choice. The graphics on the home page will quickly flash — refresh themselves. From that point all features will likely work for you.
This problem happened to me first on a Backgammon program then on two or three other programs. In each case the basic symptom was the graphics seemed to hang and the program would not work properly. All the developers I reached fixed their programs right away. But Comic Zeal’s support site(s) is closed.
I hope that when Apple updates the System they can maybe add a subroutine to the graphics area which would return to how it used to work. It is a shame.
Badly overdue for an update
I have been using Comic Zeal for a couple of years now on mi iPad Pro 12.9" 2nd generation. My first issues probably came with iOS 14, and they run the gamut, from the app not opening to the app crashing, and mostly not responding. Some times I could navigate my files, but they wouldn't open. And, after a while, not even that. I was stuck on whatever folder I had visited last. I had an extensive library of files on mi iPad, carefully sorted and classified, so I was very reluctant of goinf the complete delete route, but that was what I had to do ultimately. Then I reinstalled the app and partially restored my library. Now I'm on the same device, just updated to iOS 15.1 just a couple of days ago. Last night I used your app with no issues. Today... it's back to catastrophe. Exactly the same as before, mostly irresponsive to any command after navigating through a couple of screens. Tried deleting the app but keeping the data, and then reinstalling the app... to no avail. My library is still there, I can see it, but I can not open a single file, and the app stops responding after a couple of taps.
This app has been LOOOOONG overdue for an update... that, I'm afraid to say, I don't see coming... ever.
And developers offer no support at all.
I really like this app, BUT...
Comic Zeal is a nice, fast comics reader app that's easy to organize your comics in and which reads a number of formats. Scanned pages can even be saved as a .ZIP archive and CZ will open them in book form - very convenient!
That said, there are two things that folks need to be aware of before buying this app:
1 - The support page on Bitolithic's website is closed - you should probably expect NO support from the company. I don't know if the app is officially EOLed or not, but it's probably safest to assume that it is. Caveat emptor.
2 - Keep MULTIPLE backups of your comics files. I mean... you should keep multiple backups of your files just on general principles, but it is CRUCIAL for your comics files because - as far as I've been able to see - there is *NO* way to export files from your device back to your desktop if your computer's backup disk dies. Some apps' data folders are visible and can be accessed in iPad OS's Files application, but CZ is NOT one of them. Once your files are imported to CZ, that's it - they're locked away there and that's where they'll stay.
Those are two big issues that knock two stars off of what would otherwise, IMO, be a 5-star app.
The developer, Bitolithic Pty Ltd, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Bitolithic Pty Ltd
- 39.5 MB
- Requires iOS 8.2 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.2 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.2 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2015 Bitolithic Pty Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Extra Themes $1.99
- Unread Comic Finder $1.99