HexWar Games has partnered with Plastic Soldier Company to bring you a digital version of Commands & Colors: The Great War board game. The game allow players to portray important engagements throughout WWI history. The battles focus on the historical deployment of forces and important terrain features of trench fighting in scale with the game system.
The scale of the game is flexible and varies from battle to battle. For some scenarios, a few infantry units may represent an entire wing of a larger battle, while in other scenarios a unit may represent just a few brave soldiers going over the top. The Command card system drives movement, creates a “fog of war” and presents players with many interesting opportunities; while the battle dice resolve combat quickly and efficiently.
The Combat cards add an element of suspense and will challenge players to coordinate their use in a timely manner. Overall, the battlefield tactics players will need to execute to gain victory conform remarkably well to the strengths and limitations of the various types of WWI units, their weapons, battlefield terrain, and written history.
- 15 scenarios set during the most infamous battles on the western front
- Over 50 unique combat and command cards to simulate tactical and strategic choices
- Make strategic choices faithful to the era with machine guns, trenches, riflemen and bombers
- Lay waste to the World War 1 era battlefield with artillery strikes
- Play as German, British or Canadian combatants
- Commands and Colours - Opening Action 1
- Commands and Colours - Opening Action 2
- Loos (2nd Division Diversionary Attack) - 25 September 1915
- Loos (Hohenzollern Redoubt) - 25 September 1915
- Loos (German Counter-Attack) - 27 September 1915
- Loos (Fight for The Trenches) - 29 September To 3 October 1915
- Loos (Renewed British Offensive) - 13-14 October 1915
- Somme (Hawthorn Ridge Mine Explosion) - 1 July 1916
- Somme (Mash Valley & La Boisselle ) - 1 July 1916
- Somme (Sausage Valley & La Boisselle) - 1 July 1916
- Somme (Mametz) - 1 July 1916
- Somme (Mametz Wood) - 7-10 July 1916
- Vimy Ridge (1st & 2nd Canadian Infantry Divisions) - 9 April 1917
- Vimy Ridge (Hill 145) - 9-10 April 1917
- Vimy Ridge (The Pimple) - 12 April 1917
- Vimy Ridge (Bois-En-Hache) - 12 April 1917
Note: We recommend playing on an iPhone 5S, iPad Mini 2, iPad Air, iPad Pro or newer device.
* Dice physics improved
* Artillery multi flank choice is presented in a more intuitive manner
* Fix to artillery selection with tactician card
* Fix to bug introduced in last update blocking some context sensitive cards from play
* Fix to allow sociable achievement to be collected through local multi player
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Awkward interface but good game.
I’m a veteran/fan of both Memoir 44 and Battlelore, so am quite familiar with the C&C system. Even so, expect to muddle around the first few playthroughs as the interface is unintuitive and there is no tutorial.
The interface is suboptimal with very small font not the cards, no easy reference for units/terrain, and slow animations between moves which can’t be turned off.
That being said, this is a faithful reproduction of the board game, which is well designed.
So far I'm enjoying this quite a bit. Takes a bit to get used to some of the nuances of how the game works in the app itself. Certain,y it's ripe for expansions to include more scenarios and weapons.
Awesome port of the board Game!
I'm a big fan of the board game and this is a faithful recreation of that. I'm glad they waited for the kinks to be worked out in the PC version before they ported to the iPad. Feels just like the board game with the added attraction of the animations and the ability to zoom down to trench level. A very immersive game. I definitely recommend it.
The developer, HexWar Games Ltd, indicated that the app’s privacy practices may include handling of data as described below.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- HexWar Games Ltd
- 190.2 MB
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © 2017 HexWar Games Ltd
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.