Sketch twice as fast in Concepts 5.5! This update focuses big-time on performance - we’ve transitioned to Apple’s Metal graphics API so that rendering is snappier than ever. You’ll find battery life is longer, drawings load faster, ink flows smoother, and your sketches appear like lightning as you pan and zoom around the infinite canvas. Our under-the-hood changes also pave the way for awesome features coming up.
Details matter, so we’ve added some handy extras:
• A new “Recently Used” dynamic color palette gives easy access to the last five used colors in a drawing, including any you’ve picked from photos or dragged in from other apps. Tap+hold the color dot to find the palette in the Colors menu.
• Now drag+drop multiple images onto the canvas! Making mood-boards and adding reference images is a lot faster now.
• Updated the logic of selections made via the Layers menu. Selecting everything on a layer now behaves exactly the same whether done with layers or the Selection tools.
• Moving the artboard is now an undo-able action. If you moved it by accident, undo it on purpose.
• Text in the gallery now responds to iOS’ dynamic text size so that if reading drawing titles matters to you, you can do it without spectacles. Find this under your device’s main Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Larger Text.
• We disabled the idle mode when presenting. Your iPad will no longer automatically go to sleep when you are presenting in Concepts.
And a few of those pesky bug fixes:
• Fixed a bug where the off-screen arrows pointed in the wrong direction to the off-screen content.
• Fixed a bug where the corner target points for selecting an image were wrong if the image was rotated.
• Fixed a bug with snap points showing in the wrong place.
• Fixed a crash that occurred in some cases when exiting to the gallery after deleting a PDF.
• Fixed a crash in presentation mode.
• Fix for the broken “Key Point” snap targets.
• Fix for a crash when painting with watercolor on a non-textured background.
You might notice this update is for 5.5.1 - in switching trains, our gallery caught the wrong line and headed the opposite direction. This speedy addendum puts the gallery back on the fast track.
Stay tuned to @ConceptsApp on your favorite channel for updates. If you’re in a good mood, please leave a five-star review on the App Store and appreciate our hard work and progress. Your feedback makes the app better every day, thank you!
The Concepts Team @ TopHatch
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve been using Concepts for over a year, during which time it’s evolved from “oh, that’s nice” to an absolutely essential part of my workflow. My main use of Concepts is for various kinds of technical sketching/drafting purposes. Everything from concept drawings for projects destined for the workshop and/or CAD, pattern drafting complex fiber arts work, and much more. I’m not a production visual artist; rather Concepts is my first-stop design studio.
As such, Concepts’ infinite canvas, layers, and vector-vs-pixel based model are the key features that make my work a joy. With the infinite canvas, I can seamlessly work and sketch on related ideas & drawings, then rearrange and/or export what I need for inclusion in other documents. Layers are a gigantic timesaver, making it easy to select, duplicate, and modify various “slices” of my work, allowing easy correction of mistakes, evolution of ideas, and eliminating lots of tedious redrawing. Likewise, the vector model plays into the layer support, making it straightforward to select, group, and edit individual artifacts.
All that’s the tip of the iceberg. As you get further into it, so many features come together to make your work better and faster. How about a *tiny* bit of smoothing to clean up my janky line work? Or crank smoothing to 100% for minute to get ruler-straight lines without even having to break out the “Precision” tools.
I started using this app 1 day before the release of version 5. I made this sprawling and complex drawing of a customer journey map to map out the design of a brand new feature we’re working on for our app. I found the version 4 UI highly functional but felt it was really complicated and busy. I was only using the free version, since that was fulfilling my needs.
That all changed with version 5. Version 5 introduces an all-new UI (and payment structure) which massively simplifies the controls while drawing, and lets you hide and show different panels if they’re in the way (the Layers button for example). I’m still confused about how the color palates work, so I’m using the “Recent” color palate and that’s doing the job. This tool feels indispensable to me now. That infinite canvas is amazing, and the sketch tools and features feel like a super expensive piece of drawing software at a fraction of the price.
My favorite feature, and why it’s awesome for drawing journey maps and wireframes for designing apps, is Concepts’ infinitely-sized canvas. It’s like the biggest whiteboard ever and you can just keep going and going. Making super long journey map type of work is nearly impossible on fixed page size drawing apps, so this is truly revolutionary for me.
It’s now crazy good
Concepts has gone through many changes since my last five star review a couple of years ago. It’s really a different app now, only better than ever. They went through an evolution where there were so many powerful features being added, that the app lost its intuitive feel, and there was even one point at which it was sometimes frustrating for users like myself who just needed a go-to sketch program, and didn’t “live” in the app enough to keep up. Not any more. Somehow, with the addition and integration of powerful new editing tools that let you select and have your right-brain way with your drawing, the Wow is back. I think the key is that Concepts, unlike some other apps I also own (and like), is conceived from the ground up as a tablet program, and not an adaptation of a more PC centric package like GIMP or Photoshop, etc. The developers also release more updates than for any other such app I have, almost always containing useful features along with under the hood fixes, as though...oh, I don’t know, maybe they actually try using what they design or something. How nuts is that? Six to seven stars for this latest version.
- TopHatch, Inc.
- 177.9 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © TopHatch, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Pack [Legacy] $7.99
- Essentials $14.99
- Upgrade to Essentials $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.