The Concise Oxford English Dictionary is the most popular dictionary of its kind around the world and is noted for its clear definitions as well as its comprehensive and authoritative coverage of the vocabulary of the English-speaking world. It includes over 50,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, available in both British & American voice versions, including those with controversial or variant pronunciations.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – the colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - with a new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches - you can now get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak with Talk & Translate – use this speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the functional, clean and easy-to-use interface. Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry using your speech.
• Automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ that corrects word spelling and a ‘Wild card’ that allows you to replace a letter or entire parts of a word with '*' or '?' when you don’t know how it`s spelled.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you the freedom to structure your studies, this dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
• iOS 12 Support
• Beautifully integrated for iPhone XS
• Bug fixes and performance improvement
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Superb English Dictionary
I choose the Oxford English Dictionary because I have used the hard copy for years up to and including the multi volume complete Oxford. Though expensive for an app, it simply provides the best coverage of the English language, as well as many useful examples to support definitions. I found the embedded request to review the product very irritating, especially after paying so much for the app.
I would have rated this much higher had it not been for the continuous NAG SCREEN pushing me to rate it. Well, you wanted a Fu€KING rating, here it is. I do hope that you’re happy!
Truthfully, I’m a tad burdened at the fact that my real, ACTUAL, gigantic, bound, OXFORD ED. dictionary has words that this application DOES NOT!!! It’s an app, it SHOULD HAVE MORE words than the limited paper bound version! But this application falls woefully short.
Had I not been nagged, I’d given this app a much higher score. If measured on the word availability and usage, a score of 4.5+ would have been left, and if the score were based on content, I could only (in good conscience) have left a 3 stars.
But, (as I look up words that most people might never even consider searching for), this app is an excellent reference for a large part of the populace. The average/above average, or even superior level intellect will likely be very well served by this application, even as flawed as I see it. So, enjoy!
Please, make this better.
Speaking as a professional writer who relies on tools like this. I’ve spent at least several hours attempting to find a reliable Oxford English Dictionary. But every app that Mobisystems makes is designed so poorly that I have resorted to physical print dictionary. Examples: the dedicated button on the upper right that directs you to buy more Mobisystems apps. The frequent (every time I open the app) Rate Us 5 Stars prompts. Inconsistent offline functionality. Invite your friends (does anyone every tap that?). This is such a useful tool that would be even more so as an app. Please lose some of the self-promotion and focus on making it cleaner. We will pay for that.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.