This App requires a secondary download of content, which will start automatically when the App is opened for the first time.
Explore the proposals, debates, and revisions that shaped the first ten amendments to the U.S. Constitution. Why did the U.S. need a Bill of Rights? How did Congress produce the Bill of Rights? What would it be like to participate in the process? Dive into these questions and more with this app from the U.S. National Archives.
• Take a close look at the featured document "Senate Revisions to the House Proposed Amendments to the U.S. Constitution" with pinch to zoom
• Survey the challenges to the new nation that made the Constitution and Bill of Rights necessary in a historical slide show
• Get to know the leaders of the debate and explore issues that divided the Federalists and Anti-Federalists
• Study the evolving language of each proposed amendment as it was shaped in the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate
• Participate and reflect in sections designed for individual or collaborative classroom exploration
The Congress Creates the Bill of Rights project includes an eBook and accompanying educational materials available through www.archives.gov/legislative/resources/bill-of-rights.html.
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
Technical update for iOS 8.
Ratings and Reviews
One of my favourite (yes, I use the British spelling) apps!
It's really nice. My favourite features is the one where you get to vote on the amendments.
EXCELLENT - exceeds expectations - More Primary Resources than imaginable
More primary resources related to the creation of the Bill of Rights than I even knew existed all in one location - organized well, presented dynamically, informative, and interesting. My favorite section - track changes of the First Amendment!!!! Literally watching the First Amendment take shape through compromise, discussion, discourse, and debate. Thank you Center for Legislative Archives for creating this amazing tool!!!
Secondary download would not work
I downloaded this program at least three times and the result was the same each time: what I assumed to be the main user interface would briefly appear, but would not interact. I could get it to even act like there was such a thing as a secondary download, much less to even begin one. Then a reduced view of the menu would appear that would not do anything regardless of where or how many times it was tapped. Turning my iPad off did not change anything for better or worse. I see at least one other person recently had the same problem. I am using an iPad Air running software version 7.1.1.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- National Archives and Records Administration
- 27.8 MB
- Requires iPadOS 6.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Dutch, French, German, Hungarian, Japanese
- Age Rating
- © 2014 National Archives and Records Administration
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.