Get recipe organised! Save recipes from your favourite websites and magazines. Scan recipes from books and magazines. Access recipes from your mobile, tablet and desktop devices. Always available offline. Plan meals and create shopping lists. Cook with intuitive displays, timers and much, much more! CookBook is the best Kitchen tool around and the only recipe app with real-time OCR.
• Import – save recipes from websites, enter from books or use your culinary expertise and update on the fly with new ingredients, steps and pictures as you cook.
• Offline recipes – All recipe data and images are saved locally for offline usage.
• Cloud Storage (FREE!) - Automatically synchronises and stores your recipe information with our CookBook cloud to enable access from the mobile applications and our FREE website.
• Convert - Seamlessly convert ingredients from your entered and imported recipes to your preferred US, Imperial and Metric measures.
• Meal Plan & Shopping – plan your weekly meals with the required servings and create interactive shopping lists from your plan to take shopping or to export and use later.
• Cooking Mode – Intuitive cooking with text reading, ingredient toggles and multiple timers!
• Search – find by ingredient, tag your meals with categories or make them a favourite to quickly find and access the meal you are looking for.
• Share – send recipes via AirDrop in the CookBook format, PDF, email, HTML or YAML format
• Timers – Automatic detection of timers from text
• Scan (OCR) – save recipes directly from your camera, straight into CookBook (note: this is now free to use!)
• Multi-platform – Access recipe data on our website (FREE!) or from other popular mobile platforms.
• Select between 2 beautiful sleek CookBook designs.
• Quickly scale recipe ingredients to your desired number of servings.
• Search for recipes using the leftovers in your fridge
• Create recipe timers automatically from detected instructions or enter them manually to alert you when you are needed in the kitchen.
• Run concurrent timers across the recipes you are currently cooking to multitask.
• Use our default or create new categories to help you keep your recipes organised.
• Add an overall photo and individual photos to each recipe step to create easy visual directions.
• Recipes available offline to allow you access when you have no internet connection.
• ‘Surprise me’ feature for those times when you just can’t decide what to eat!
• All this and more, accessible on our website or through our dedicated mobile applications, synchronised across your devices, on or offline, with one account and no annoying adverts.
Our developers are continually working to perfect CookBook and therefore we want to hear from you, what you think and what you’d like CookBook to do next! Use the ‘Contact Us’ page to get in touch and one of our team will get straight back to you.
Your recipes, your kitchen, your CookBook.
**Cursor Issues? Upgrade to iOS 13.2 or above to fix!!**
Fix occasional / random boot issues
Fix issues with OCR and text parser
Fix support for other language/unicode characters
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Love this app!
I’ve been using it for a couple of years or so, and love it. The ONLY complaint I had at first was the lack of a way to export recipes, but they added that! I used to just collect recipe bookmarks in my browser, but then started to have some go away... then came printouts and binders. Finding things was a nightmare. So I tried a couple of apps for managing recipes (this and Paprika), and this one is just so much richer! Being able to snap a photo of a recipe from a magazine in a waiting room and have it use OCR to turn it into an entry is game-changing. Web site support seems vast - I rarely find ones that aren’t supported, and when I do, a couple of cuts and pastes do fine.
Tip: I tag newly-imported recipes with an “untested” tag, then after trying them once or twice (with mods I think might improve it the second time), either delete it (don’t like) or remove the untested tag. When I feel like something new, I just bring up the list of untested recipes and try one. Helps keep things from ballooning with things that just look good...
Glad it is a one-time purchase, but I’d be happy to pay for upgrades now and then for new features, or for new iOS support if it ever breaks (‘cause I’d hate to lose it).
Developer Response ,
Its so great to hear you're making the most of the OCR tool and importing all of your recipes! We are so happy you are finding all of CookBook's tools and features easy to use and get recipe organised! Thank you so much for your awesome 5 star review. We are currently in the works of planning our next big updates so watch this space :)
The best app for integrating books and digital
I have many cookbooks and magazines but also am a heavy user on epicurious and other recipe sites. I tend to default to digital sites because they are searchable, meaning that I use my cookbooks far less than I would like. After searching for a solution to this problem (and briefly flirting with creating my own) I found Cookbook, which is the best solution to this problem in my view. In the past few weeks I have added 400 recipes to the database, and I’m sure I’ll add hundreds more. Having everything searchable is really useful. The OCR capabilities allow you to scan recipes from cookbooks - this is pretty time intensive though and while the scanning is good, it tends to make errors around measurements which are critical in recipes. The app has many other features and is definitely worth the price, but I would like to see the development team continue to improve it. Recipe scanning is currently free, but I would be willing to pay a few pennies for each scan, particularly if this cash flow led to improvements in the OCR and app over time. If you’re looking for one place to store all your recipes, I highly recommend this app.
Love most of it so far
I just got this and am still working on how I want to use it. So far I love that I can snap pictures to import recipes and not have to type it all. It’s easy to add pictures of the dishes and steps. I can make up my own tags so I can organize things in my own way. I can add notes. There’s a way to back up what I’ve entered. I can share it on my devices. And I love that there’s no subscription fee which really turned me off of other app choices. Things I’m still trying to work out is editing the data after an import can be cumbersome. Sometimes it adds funky characters that I cannot get rid of no matter what I try, including deleting and adding manually. And I wish I could print an index card format vs a full page pdf. I’m also leery about having a full database of recipes on my phone. I don’t want to buy more phone memory just for recipes! But I have yet to see if that’s really going to be a problem or not. Overall I’m really pleased.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Cookbook Ltd
- 56.1 MB
- Food & Drink
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © CookBook Ltd
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.