CotEditor is a light-weight, neat, yet powerful text editor designed for editing plain-text files such as web pages (HTML, CSS), program source codes (Python, Ruby, Perl, etc.), structured texts (Markdown, Textile, TeX, etc.), or any other kind of plain-text.
Just For Mac
The application is exactly made for macOS. CotEditor looks and behaves just as macOS applications should. It means, you already know how to use it even on the first launch. There are no complex configuration files that require geek knowledge so that you can access all your settings including syntax definitions and themes from a standard preferences window.
Quick, Easy, and Powerful
CotEditor launches so quick that you can write your text immediately when you want to. It's perfect for you to write a draft version of your document or a scratch code. The simply organized user interface doesn't disturb your task. However, at the same time, CotEditor is neither a software only for beginners nor a typical minimal “zen-style” editor. It is fully customizable. There are, of course, syntax highlighting feature for various languages, find and replace with the regular expression, auto-indentation, command-line tool, and lots of other deep functions. You can also easily write your own macro in your favorite languages.
• Syntax highlighting including more than 50 preset languages
• Powerful find and replace with the regular expression
• Auto-backup with/without overwriting actual document files
• Line numbers view
• Live character/word/line count
• Handling file encoding and line endings with care
• Auto-generated outline menu for fast navigation
• Multi-cursor editing
• Character inspector that shows the zoomed glyph and Unicode information
• Vertical text layout mode
• Various Unicode normalizations
• Semi-transparent window
• Command-line tool
• Scriptable with your favorite language
• JCK-languages friendly
- Significantly optimize the performance of text layout especially when pasting a relatively large amount of text.
- Update JSON syntax style.
- Fix an issue in the highlighting instances of selected text that the highlight shape spread wrongly when the selected text included line breaks.
- Fix an issue in the syntax style editing that some keywords that can be parsed as a YAML object, such as `true` or `null`, were not stored as a string.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Really fast for editing small files
This is the fastest editor I have seen for working with small text files. I love the clean, simple interface; and especially the speed with which it launches. However, I am giving it 4 stars instead of 5 for two reasons:
(1) I think the "Enable Auto Save with Versions” feature is a bit dangerous. I did a Find to search for text, but instead of hitting “Find All”, I hit “Replace All” by mistake. I could not figure out how to undo my change, so I closed the main window thinking that I had not saved my file. But the file was auto-saved with the unintentional change. I now know that I could have closed the Find window, at which point “Undo Replace All” would have appeared as an option under the Edit menu. However, I think that “Enable Auto Save with Versions” is not a good feature for novices. The default setting should be false.
(2) I would really like to see a “Whole Word” checkbox in Find window.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the kind review. In response to your second request, I've added "Match only whole Word" option to find panel (in "Advanced find options" via the gear button in the find panel) on CotEditor 3.6.1. Regarding the first comment, we will not change the default setting of Auto Save because it is nowadays the standard behavior of macOS applications. Please just turn it off if you want to avoid.
Perfect General-Purpose Text Editor
This app is perfect for when you need something more fully-featured than TextEdit, but don't need a complicated project manager like Atom or similar. The major selling points for me are Unicode support (the ‘Inspect Character’ and ‘Input in Unicode Hex’ commands are extremely helpful, and greatly reduce the need for character escapes in your documents) and the fact that it plays well with proportional fonts (many text editors have bugs when you use a font that isn't monospace—not so with CotEditor!).
If I had to list drawbacks, the syntax highlighting is not as fully-featured as you might find in something like Atom. But I've been using CotEditor for several months and never found it missing a feature that I needed for my work, and it is refreshing the extent to which things that one might need to download a plugin for in Atom or Brackets just come built right in.
My favorite text editor
This is an app that works. It has nicely organized preferences and menu and things are straight forward. I give it only 4 stars because of a few glitches.
1) It handles small files very fast but cannot deal with large files as efficient. It takes at least twice the time TextMate does to open a file that is larger than 20MB.
2) It hangs frequently when pasting large block of text.
3) Its URL detection is very handy, bu doesn't always work. URLs in pasted text may or may not be recognized. After typing in a URL, hiting ENTER doesn't make it clickable, you have to hit SPACE. Also, when you change the middle of the URL the link is gone and going to the end to press space is the only way to bring it back.
4) Mouse click to follow the link is not the best design. Single click is use to place the cursor. Most other editor uses double click and it makes much more sence.
5) Although there are >50 preset languages. It lacks support for some "unpopular" but common language, like Pascal, batch, registry. It seems that there is no easy way to add your own language.
BTW, as a user that use both Mac and Win, I found the way Mac text editors handle drag and drop of files straight. In Windows a dropped file will be opened, and in Mac its filename will be inserted in the current file. I find the later useless (unless one is working with shell scripts). Is it possible to make the Windows way an option?
- Mineko IMANISHI
- 16.8 MB
macOS 10.13 or later, 64-bit processor
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2005-2009 nakamuxu, 2011, 2014 usami-k, 2013-2020 1024jp
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.