Creature is the Cutting-edge 2D Animation Software designed to add stunningly fluid animation to your digital content. Take advantage of Creature's Directible Automated Animation Engine and powerful workflow to produce amazingly complex animation in an incredibly easy and time-efficient manner. Creature is the ideal animation Tool for game developers, digital artists and web designers wanting to add that special animated magic to make your content come alive.
- Bring your character to life from a single static image or an image atlas of body parts
- Automate the generation of Walk Cycles, Tail flopping, Wing flapping etc. using Creature's powerful Directible Automated Animation Engine. This saves you time and streamlines your workflow dramatically
- Marvel at the high quality shapes generated in your animation via Creature's advanced skinning and mesh deformation technology
- Adjust animation splines and curves over time using the powerful Knot and Spline editor
- Use video as source of Motion Capture input! Use Creature's Motion Transfer tools to transfer motion from your video onto your characters!
- Animate your characters to follow path motion using Creature's Path Creation and Editing tools
- Export your animation to: Movies, GIF, FBX, Spritesheets, Sprite Frames
- Export your animation data to a variety of Game Engine Toolkits (Unity, Cocos2dx, LibGDX, MonoGame, Pixi.js, Three.js, BabylonJS) and WebGL frameworks. Source runtimes for toolkits and frameworks are provided.
- Full in depth online Documentation with Video Tutorials and Samples
This is the Basic version of Creature. Advanced features like Motion Capture, Soft Body Dynamics and Path authoring are not available in the Basic Version. You can upgrade to the Pro version in this app at anytime.
- Reverse Foot Motor
- Internal Engine fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Less User Friendly than Spine
Long story short, if you’re looking for a more intuitive replacement to Spine, look again, because this app is more frustrating and unintuitive than Spine ever was for me. Skip this app and save yourself the frustration.
- High contrast accessibility settings make the text black on black in the interface, and there is no light ui interface.
- To use the mesh system, you have to pay an additional $140 making this purchase $250 for an app I will not be using in the future.
- The mesh creation and animation system are less intuitive than Spine
- The bones system was difficult to setup and use
- The animation system is less intuitive and less useful than Spine.
- This application requires a pre-built image atlas containing all images needed before use, and though this application comes with one, it scaled my graphics to a fraction of the size, leaving them pixelated while simultaneously leaving 80% of the atlas unused.
- Undo causes the ui and viewport and items to jump around, forcing you to find your place all over again.
- Sometimes undo goes too far back in the history, removing work you wanted to keep.
- Other times undo makes a mess of the mesh and bones that were fine before you tried to undo the last action.
- Undo occasionally causes the app to crash
-You cannot pan the viewport without a mouse, making this useless on my Laptop when I’m not at a desk.
Summary: Do not buy this software, it’s frustrating, unstable and definitely not worth the price of admission.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback. Regarding the issue of usability, we will take your notes into account and look into improving the application for Mac users with regard to the UI/UX front. There have been a number of recent updates that have already addressed issues with stability and performance ( in particular, the animation timeline engine has been revamped in the latest update ).
With regard to your other notes:
- Creature is 100% mesh based. The standard version includes the core mesh functionality, the Pro upgrade gets you much more customised mesh authoring features. So even in the base version of Creature, we give you full mesh skinning. This is something the competition ( Spine ) does not have.
- The bones system and skin weighting is much more general, allowing for you to weigh and have bones influencing any number of meshes. This is much more similar to other graphics/animation tools for 3D asset authoring/rigging. We are giving you the power of high end graphics tools in a 2D package.
- The animation system gives you control of keys/knots over the entire timeline. This again is pretty standard for animation tools out there ( contrast this again with the competitor you outlined which only allows for animation curves between 2 keyframes ). Almost all professional animators/riggers using our system in full production at AAA/large studios right now prefer our system over others. This was developed in conjunction with users producing large assets in mind.
- You do not need a prebuilt atlas, you can actually import in a PSD file and it will automatically build up an atlas for you via the layers you want.
- Creature is Professional Animation Software so it is designed to be used with a mouse. This is what our Pro users want and require. We will however, look into making it more usable with a trackpad.
- Only Creature provides a full blown procedural physics engine that is capable of animating complex cloth, hair and muscle motion very easily. This is what the software was designed to do: handle large complex rigs with tons of bones ( some of our users in large studios author rigs that have up to 300+ bones )
Thank you again for your feedback, we will look more into improving Creature for our Mac users.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.