Cross Country Ski Montana is your resource for great information about Montana's outstanding cross country ski trails.
Our goal with Cross Country Ski Montana is simple: to give you an easy-to-use, all-in-one, no-connection-needed, guide to accessing cross country skiing in Montana.
We designed Cross Country Ski Montana to app to be intuitive—we want you to spend your skiing, not learning how to use our app. The app is built on a Google Maps-style interface that most everyone is familiar with. That interface includes links for answering the simplest yet most critical questions when you depart home: Where should I go skiing? And how do I get there? Just pick your desired area, click on "directions", and you are good to go! Instead of shuffling through 3 torn paper maps trying to locate yourself you can let that happy voice in your phone guide you to the trailhead, while you instead focus on getting warm before starting out into the snow!
We've included every designated cross country ski area we can find in the Montana, on both public and private lands. (If you have one we missed, please let us know and we’ll add it!). The app gets you to the area, plus we provide you trail maps, when available, for each area so you can study the loop trails, distances, and level of difficulty in advance, plus use them to guide your day.
Like you, we love cross country skiing so we've included answers to those questions we all have when heading out with our skinny skis on the roof rack. We are laser focused on providing you the best information available. The app answers questions for each area like:
• Is there a fee or is it free?
• Is the area groomed? Is it groomed for skate skis, track skis, or just packed out?
• Who does the grooming? How do I get the latest conditions report?
• How many miles of trail are there?
• Who owns the land -- is it public or private?
• Who manages the area? The Forest Service, a ski club, or is it a partnership between the two?
• How do I contact the group managing the area?
• Does the ski area allow dogs?
• How do I get there?
Cross Country Ski Montana answers these questions and more!
Importantly, Cross Country Ski Montana is designed to work offline so you don't need to be connected to get the mapping information we provide to get you to your ski area of choice. That's a nice feature when you're on a snowy Montana backcountry road, not a cell tower within 50 miles! There's no need to download a different map every time you take off; nor will we ask you to buy maps—or anything else —once you have the app.
Enjoy the snow!
From the team at MountainWorks Software
1. Updated for 2023 cross country skiing!
2. Updated maps for Chief Joseph Pass and Lake Como ski areas.
3. Updated information about Skalkaho Pass.
Ratings and Reviews
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Mountainworks Software, Incorporated
- 153.2 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2018 MountainWorks Software Inc.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.