Written by Ursa Software, (creator of MacStitch for the Mac and WinStitch for the PC ), it is a utility designed to let you work on charts you or others have created from your iPad or iPhone (big screen recommended)
You can work without the usual array of sheets of paper and highlighting pens.
In use, you copy your charts into the iPad or iPhone using iTunes , and then when you enter Cross Stitch Markup, you can choose from those available and start stitching.
It is primarily intended to be used in conjunction with MacStitch and WinStitch, but can also read some patterns created by PCStitch (versions 4 to 7)
It is a portable alternative to printing out sheets of paper or working from PDF files.
(For your PDF charts you should use a PDF viewer application)
No ads, no in-app purchases.
What this free app will do:
Open charts (supports .CHART, .CHT, .MOTIF and some .PAT formats),
Display on screen in color/symbols/ or both
Zoom in and out, pan,
Add/remove markup so that you can see what you have done and what remains to be stitched.
(And what it won't ... :>
This is not an app to design new charts from scratch, or convert photos into charts. It is not designed to open PDF files.)
Amended manual to cover Catalina file sharing changes.. now uses Finder instead of iTunes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Can’t use it
Seems cool but I am unable to use. When I buy pattern they always come as a pdf. This does not open pdf’s, only macstitch files.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the note.
You are correct- this app is not a PDF editor. (We can recommend GoodReader for PDF charts. )
This is a brand new way to markup charts, and over time we are hopeful that designers will offer begin to charts in other formats than PDF, since it is a simple 'save as' to create these files.
MacStitch and WinStitch owners can use Cross Stitch Markup as a free add-on, and some PCStitch charts can be used here too.
I love this app, but as others have said, the inability to open .PDF files does mean you need to either be a designer with Mac/WinStitch, or know someone who is. .PDF file support would be a big improvement for this app.
Other features I’d like to see, that aren’t present:
- Better optimisation of very large charts. Sure, without .PDF support, people aren’t going to be opening HAED charts on this, but as a designer supporting this app, who makes large charts, I find it gets very chuggy and slow if I try to zoom out too far, making it very difficult to see much of the overall chart. Most of my charts are in the 300x300 range, but some go up to 550 on the largest side, and it’s very difficult to use this app with those.
- More accurate percentage data. I love that this shows progress in percentages, because it gives some instant gratification to a hobby where instant gratification usually doesn’t exist. But sitting on 0% after hours of stitching is also very sad-making. Showing to the nearest thenth, or even better, the nearest hundredth would be awesome for larger charts.
- Undo! So many times, I’ve accidentally tapped my screen, or my stylus wasn’t quite where I thought it should be, and marked something off by mistake. Trying to figure out what the mistake was is an exercise in madness. Having an undo button would be wonderful!
- Portrait mode. Small quality of life suggestion, but being stuck in landscape is really awkward for tall charts. Some charts would just fit better in portrait mode
- Palette sorting and usage data. Numerical by default is awesome. That should not change. But having other options for sorting, such as by usage would be beneficial for some charts. Similarly, displaying usage and stitch counts for colours would be awesome as well.
- Hide markup without clearing it. Sometimes, being able to hide the markup would be hugely beneficial. At present, the only options are to write, erase, and clear forever.
- Better import options. This is probably the biggest one. But allowing users to download a file from a storefront and open it directly to their iPad, without having to convince iTunes to work would be hugely beneficial. iOS allows apps to read directly from Dropbox or Files. This app is the only reason I ever open iTunes.
Overall, great app. Just being able to ditch paper and highlighters has been a huge plus. But I feel like the limitations of this being a direct companion to Mac/WinStitch, and not many pattern makers being aware of it limits the amount of people who find the app useful.
Doesn’t open up
I downloaded the app , but it only goes to the main screen and then shuts down ? I can’t open it
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Jeff Tullin
- 15.9 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone SE (1st generation), iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2nd generation), iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7‑inch), iPad Pro (9.7‑inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5‑inch), iPad Pro (10.5‑inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad (6th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (11‑inch), iPad Pro (11‑inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (3rd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation), iPad mini (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (7th generation), iPad (7th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (11‑inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (11‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (4th generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (4th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (4th generation), iPad Air (4th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (8th generation), iPad (8th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © Ursa Software 2019
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.