"… the definitive source for puzzles for iOS…" -- the New York Times
Download and play crossword puzzles right on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. Each day many newspapers provide their crossword puzzles online; with one tap you can download and solve them, get hints, view clues, and track how quickly you're improving!
The #1 Crossword Player on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch just got even better!
• New: Sync your puzzles with Crosswords for Mac; Start a puzzle on your Mac, then finish it on your iPhone or iPad.
• Get new puzzles every day
• Touch and hold a square to view hints on iPad
• Enter Numbers and other special characters by holding down keys
• One tap downloads all of today's puzzles
• Nearly unlimited puzzles from many different sites
• US and UK Cryptic puzzles available
• Hints, Websites, and Clue lookups
• Enter answers in 'ink' or 'pencil'
• Quickly see your recently played, or sort by date or provider
• Detailed info on each puzzle
• Post your solve times online and compare with other solvers
• Grab older puzzles with a tap
• Tap the clue list with two fingers to adjust the font size (iPad only)
Included Puzzle Sources:
• Brendan Emmett Quigley's Weekly Puzzle
• King Features Crosswords (Joseph, Sheffer, and Premier)
• Andy Kravis, Cruciverbist at Law
• Glutton for Pun
• MacNamara’s Band
• Murchie’s Monday Fills
• Neville Fogarty
• Puzzle Express
• The Stickler Weekly
• World of Crosswords
Premium Crosswords subscription required:
• Matt Gaffney’s Crossword Contest
• American Values Crossword
• Crooked Crosswords
• Additional puzzles downloadable via the Puzzle Browser; browse the web and download more!
Providers list subject to change. Some providers may no longer be publishing, but may still have older puzzles available in Archive form, accessible via the "Download Older Puzzles" option.
• For support, please visit our website at http://www.standalone.com •
• You can tap on the clue text at the bottom of the screen to toggle across & down
• Rotate the screen to see both the puzzle and clues
• Touch for a moment then drag to precisely select a square.
• Touch the Plus to download older puzzles
Please note that Crosswords requires an internet connection to download puzzles. Syncing puzzles to your Mac requires the purchase of Crosswords from the Mac App Store. Multiplayer requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- cleaned up settings a bit
- fixed text colors in Credentials entry
- fixed problem showing index tabs in some cases
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve used this app for years and appreciate its many great features and I still prefer it to alternative apps but over the past months I’ve experienced and reported problems to the developer.
The worst problem is occasionally when solving a puzzle and then switching to another app and then returning to this one all of my entries disappear. Not good!
As commented by other reviewers the formatting within the app is inconsistent with titles not been fully displayed and most annoyingly on the iPad the puzzle grid continually re-sizes itself when checking clues.
Developer Response ,
We're working on both of these issues, thanks for the feedback!
There are some problems which have resurfaced
Right now, not one of my favorite apps. Major problems since the last update, there are a few glitches in it. The latest update makes it so you can't even see the top line across because it's shaded by the toolbar and the puzzle won't move.
Stopped using it
This used to be my favorite crossword app. And it has worked fairly well: I find it easier to operate than other apps. My main concern is the supply of puzzles. My favorite puzzle provider is no longer available , and for a number of the providers that I selected, I haven’t seen a new download in years. The puzzles that are still available no longer interest me, so I’ve subscribed to the NYT puzzles and use their app to work them. It’s not as convenient as this app, but they supply a steady stream of interesting puzzles.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Stand Alone, Inc.
- 47.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
English, French, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2008-20 Stand Alone, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Dell Magazine #1 $1.99
- Brendan Emmett Quigley's Favorites Volume 1 $2.99
- Jonesin' Crosswords $2.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.