"Darkest Dungeon is a challenging gothic roguelike turn-based RPG about the psychological stresses of adventuring.
***AWARDS AND HONORS***
***Rock Paper Shotgun - 50 Best RPGs of All Time***
***IGN - Best of 2016: 2 Nominations***
***IGF 2016 - 3 Nominations***
Recruit, train, and lead a team of flawed heroes through twisted forests, forgotten warrens, ruined crypts, and beyond. You'll battle not only unimaginable foes, but stress, famine, disease, and the ever-encroaching dark. Uncover strange mysteries, and pit the heroes against an array of fearsome monsters with an innovative strategic turn-based combat system.
* The Affliction System – battle not only monsters, but stress! Contend with paranoia, masochism, fear, irrationality, and a host of gameplay-meaningful quirks!
* Striking hand-drawn gothic crowquill art style
* Innovative turn-based combat pits you against a host of diabolical monsters
* Narration system to celebrate your successes...and failures
* 15 (and counting!) playable hero classes, including Plague Doctor, Hellion, and even the Leper!
* Camp to heal wounds or deliver inspiring speeches.
* Rest your weary, shell-shocked characters in town at the Tavern or the Abbey to keep their stress in check.
* Classic CRPG and roguelike features, including character permadeath, procedural dungeons, and incredible replay
* 3 game modes and over 80 hours of gameplay*
Can you stem the tide of eldritch horrors erupting across your family’s ancestral estate?
Descend at your peril!
Please note that the game currently supports the following languages only: English, German, French, Russian, Polish, Czech, Spanish, Italian, and Brazilian Portuguese
- Added subtitles in all cinematics.
- Some icons have been updated.
- Fixed issue where Miller's trinket interaction buff was being resisted.
- Fixed issue where user couldn’t view crimson court cinematics when importing a save data from PC that has those cinematics unlocked.
- Reduced letter-boxing for the 11-inch iPad Pro 2018.
- General bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Great Dungeon Crawler!
I experienced Darkest Dungeon for the first time watching people on Twitch playing the game on the PC. I loved the visual presentation of the game - that dark noir style artwork, the animations, the narration, the music...it was just a great looking dungeon crawler - one you didn’t need a high end PC to play. Before buying the game myself, I read reviews online - the biggest gripe for most is the “random number generator”, and because of the randomness, you never know what will work and what won’t. For someone trying to beat the game, I can see how that can be a frustration. For me, though, I guess I’m more of a casual player, and if my group of adventurers don’t make it through a quest, it’s no big deal. I’ll just recruit a new group and try again, or even try again from a new slate by starting up a new game. I just think this is a beautiful and in-depth game that’s a great time killer! Being able to have this game on the tablet is a huge bonus! Some say the menus are too small, but for my iPad 2 Air’s screen, it seems fine. The fact that you can share saves between your PC and tablet is a nice feature, too! If you play this game to win, you’ll probably get frustrated with it eventually. If you play to just enjoy the game - win or lose - you will probably enjoy this game.
Immersive and Stressful, in a good way.
When I first saw this game, I though it would be an interesting thing to try out. Granted, it did take some getting used to the whole system of strategy, but now it is so immersive I can’t put it down once I start a session (which usually last for hours before I’m ready to stop).
This game has a way of putting stress not only on the characters you control, but on you as well. The jarring hits and sound effects, the dark design of enemies, and the idea that random encounters or unfavorable events could happen at any time makes me nervous and tense, yet more ready than ever to tear my enemies apart piece by piece.
My only wish is that while there is a lot of adventurers already, I feel one or two more with different themes would round out my roster more fully. All in all, this is a sound investment to those who like turn based action.
Got this game for $1 a few months ago. I tempered my expectations after hearing about the terrible RNG, but it's been largely enjoyable so far; the presentation is astounding and I've enjoyed trying out the various "classes". The UI and general controls are terrible, though. I frequently use abilities while trying to inspect them, and have purchased things the same way; not to mention text prompts frequently being covered up by my hand / stylus. Most recently, and what drove me to write this review - I accidentally bought a single torch instead of a stack of torches, causing my party to be wiped out by heart attacks. While that is very preventable by double checking your inventory before leaving, or retreating after noticing your low torch count, it's just one of the many annoyances the bad touch controls bring about. My main reason for buying the game on mobile instead of PC was the low price ($1 compared to the PC version's all-time low price of 6.24), but if the second game ends up coming to mobile, I may pass on it and wait for the PC version to go on deep sale instead.
- Red Hook Studios Inc.
- 1.5 GB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7‑inch), iPad Pro (9.7-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5‑inch), iPad Pro (10.5-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation), iPad mini (5th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation), and iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Frequent/Intense Horror/Fear Themes
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2015-2017 Red Hook Studios Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Musketeer Free
- The Crimson Court $4.99
- The Shieldbreaker $1.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.