Darkroom is a premium photo & video editor that is easy to use by casual photographers, yet powerful enough for the pros.
** Winner of Apple Design Award in 2020 **
** Best of the App Store 2015 **
Available as a Universal app on iPhone, iPad, and macOS Big Sur with deep integration into all of the latest features.
UNIVERSAL & FREE PHOTO EDITOR
All the tools you need to bring your photos to life are Live Photos, RAW images, and Portrait images offered for free, available on iPhone, iPad, and Mac!
VIDEO EDITOR (Darkroom+ Subscription)
Ridiculously fast and simple realtime color grading. All our filters and editing tools are video-compatible, including batch processing.
CURVES & SELECTIVE COLOR TOOLS (Darkroom+ Subscription)
This is the heart and soul of Darkroom: The most usable Curves and Selective Color tools on iOS. A dance of functionality, simplicity, and power.
PORTRAIT BLUR EDITING
Edit the foreground and background of your Portrait photos separately. Customize the blur in your Portrait photos, or the Brightness, Contrast, and Saturation of your foreground / background separately.
Edit RAW photos at their full resolution and the recover the full range of details in the shadows and highlights.
FULL ALBUM MANAGEMENT
Our complete suite of album management tools allow you to organize your library extremely quickly. Every action in Darkroom applies to your iCloud Photo Library!
CREATE YOUR OWN FILTERS
The same tools that professional photographs use to create filters. Edit any of the built-in or premium filters to suit them to your needs, or create your own from scratch.
All your photos are instantly available. Darkroom does not have an import step.
Apply edits and filters to many photos at once. Favorite/Delete/Hide many images with a single tap.
HASHTAG MANAGER & SIRI SHORTCUTS
Create sets of hashtags that you can export with one-tap from anywhere: Home screen, Today widget, Export sheet, and more. Create your own Siri Shortcuts to copy all your favorite hashtags from any app.
MEMBERSHIP TRIAL AND SUBSCRIPTION TERMS
Your Darkroom+ membership will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You can go to your Settings > iTunes & App Store > Apple ID > Subscriptions to manage your membership and turn auto-renew off. Your iTunes Account will be charged when the purchase is confirmed.
Read more about our terms and conditions here:
For this release, we made our way through the list of rough edges in the Darkroom experience. Lots and lots of bug fixes here!
### Image Loading
- We rebuilt our image loading and generation infrastructure to provide faster image delivery, more accurate results, and improve reliability.
- When editing a photo, we now pause library work that might interrupt your interaction with the sliders.
- All image views in the app now share the same image provider, ensuring they’re all up to date, share resources, and are fast/reliable.
- Fixes issues where images got stuck loading forever.
- Fixes issues that caused thumbnails to be blurry in the grid after editing.
- Fixes rendering glitches when backgrounding the app quickly while editing.
- Fixes a bug where cropped and/or framed images would stretch if you open the Crop Tool.
- We use a lot less memory in our caching layer, ensuring sliders stay responsive and stable.
### RAW + JPG Photos
- Added a new setting to define what version you want to load by default. This allows us to skip asking you every time if you want to change the default when switching.
- Fixed an issue that could cause the RAW photos to appear too small, and JPEGs to show visual glitches when switching between the two.
- Fixed an issue that could cause RAW photos to display their dark regions too brightly.
### Crop & Transform
- Improved crop aspect ratio option by making the selection of the “As Shot” and “Free” options sticky across edit sessions.
- Fixed an issue that caused crop corner controls to not properly settle on the edges if moving quickly past an edge.
- Fixed an issue that caused crop controls to not respond if your drag gesture was slow to start moving.
- Fixed a rare issue that could cause the crop controls to disappear!
- Fixed a lot of alignment and visual layout issues with the Transform tool.
- When cropping, we now disable the gesture to dismiss the tools, which could get in your way of cropping.
### Photos App Extension
- Improved memory use in our Photos Extension, making it more stable
- The Clarity slider is still using too much memory and causing the photo extension to crash, so we decided to removed it from the Photos Extension until we can address its memory use.
- When you are exporting, we now pause all other image processing to speed up the export, and provide it as much memory as possible.
- We now re-use a lot more memory between editing and export, reducing the memory load of the app, and ensuring exporting jobs always have the memory it needs to finish their job.
- Improved HDR video export by ensuring it now exports to SDR with the correct colors. When we support end-to-end HDR editing & exporting, we will re-enable HDR exports.
- Fix a bug where exporting 4K videos with a frame would crash
- On iPhone, during export, the interface no longer adjusts to device rotation, which helps reduce memory usage and improves stability and reliability of exports.
### **UI Improvements**
- If the app interface is fully hidden (by tapping on the image to view it full-screen), we now allow you to swipe to dismiss to go back to the library.
- Fixed some layout issues with the batch toolbar, particularly on iPad.
- Fixed our in-app announcement message not auto dismiss if you tapped to read the announcement post.
- Improved the Flag & Reject bar when swiping to reveal it when also have the edit tools open, now this won’t force the edit tools to collapse, but the Flag & Reject bar will auto collapse after using them. This way you have a quick way to flag or reject.
- When picking a photo to add to an album on Mac, double-clicking on a photo will now add it to that album.
- Fixed side swipe quick start of multi selection showing in the photo picker.
There are lots of other issues addressed, but we couldn't fit them here ;( So please head over to the website for the full list.
Ratings and Reviews
You don’t need lots of time or pro skills to make the most of this ultra-fast, super-intuitive photo editor. Darkroom can access your whole photo library at once, letting you immediately start cropping, adjusting curves and using preset filters or creating your own—until your pics are exactly how you want them.
Great features but unstable
Although there are no selective editing brushes, Darkroom is probably the only editor with this many editing tools that allows you to batch edit on mobile. The only thing that’s missing is some stability. It always crashes on my 5th gen iPad mini. The only things I would improve is the stability of app itself, the grain feature, because the grain gets wayyy to gritty, and a noise reduction feature. Honestly I think noise reduction would be more important than a selective brush. I could use Darkoom for event photo editing, where I barely finding myself using the selective brush, but then that leaves out a trusty noise reduction feature so I feel like it really limits my options when it comes to picking a project to edit with this app. I would still rather stick to doing the majority of my editing with Lightroom. This app came very close to opening up my workflow but that one feature of noise reduction missing is a deal breaker for me.
Developer Response ,
We have been long at work resolving this issue and hope to ship the fix for it soon.
Screenshots are pictures too
If I could add one advanced feature it would be spot-selected white balance, but I'm content with the controls for the most part. If I could add one basic feature that really shouldn't be an issue, though, it'd be to import screenshots. Why the hell are screenshots excluded? I have this near-perfect photo editor and can't edit 1/4 of my photos. I know screenshots aren't ideal for printing but they're good for testing crops and testing edits of photos, the latter I can't do without making copies of photos thanks to this app's strange limitation. Yes I can test edits on a single image but I would have to note and undo every edit to try the next. It just seems so much more inefficient than simply allowing screenshots to be edited.
Edit: added one star. It's good that screenshots aren't completely excluded, but I still wish they appeared in albums like normal photos do. In an attempt to declutter, per developer's response, I feel like they've actually created more clutter in making screenshots harder to navigate and cause needless frustration by making them disappear from albums they're in. If you want to declutter the normal camera roll, that's fine, but favorites and other albums should be left alone.
Developer Response ,
Screenshots are there, we just hide theme to declutter. In the Album selector, pick the Screenshots Smart Album and browse and edit to your hearts content.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Bergen Co.
- 22.9 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Bergen Co.
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Subscription $4.99
- Legacy - Unlock Everything $9.99
- Yearly Subscription $24.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.