DBT Diary Card is the only DBT iPhone app designed and created by a licensed and DBT intensively trained psychologist.
Highlights of version 3.0:
+ graphing data across time
+ on device PDF viewing
+ daily reminders
+ Password locking to prevent others from seeing your diary cards.
Read what our actual users say:
"***** Best DBT app available!!!
Simply put, this is the most helpful DBT or CBT app available. I bought a new iPhone to be able to use it. DBT skills are priceless. I had tried every, other DBT and CBT app. This one follows the traditional DBT program exactly, and is the only Diary Card. Before I had this app, I'd seldom fill in my diary card. Now that I have it, I don't have to keep track of paper, and I rarely miss a day. I can fill in my Diary Card discreetly, from anywhere, anytime, and send it directly to my DBT coach. I no longer have to worry about someone coming across my Diary Cards. You can brush up on skills, use it for distress tolerance suggestions, tailor it to your needs, and even journal. I appreciate that I can add personal goals to my diary. Thank you for this app!" - iTunes US Review
"***** I am in IRL-DBT and this app is the perfect complement. Oh. I love that the app is so flexible, that you can make it kind of your own, and the layout is so nice, simple, yet beautiful. For me, a true life-saver! Genius! Without a doubt the best app in my IPhone... Get it now!" - iTunes Sweden Review
"***** Perfect! Worth the money!" - iTunes US Review
As an educated consumer, it's important to know to whom you're listening. DBT Diary Card was created by a Ph.D. psychologist trained directly by Dr. Marsha Linehan and at the Duke University Medical Center; we are experts in DBT, providing consultation to many in our community. And now we're giving it to you!
A DBT app can have 3 parts:
- A reference manual
- A behavior tracker
- A skills coach
DBT Diary Card has all 3 of these parts and utilizes the iOS platform in ways that the other apps available don't and can't.
+ PDF generation
+ Notification Pane support
+ Password protection
+ Advanced text editing
+ Media playback
What DBT Diary Card has to offer:
- Skills. LOTS of them. Every DBT skill you've ever heard about in a group is in here. It can be your quick reference to your skills so that you don't have to carry around your book or binder. Every skill is described in readable language to help you understand them easily and it's all just a quick tap away.
- Emotions. All the "basic" emotions are presented, again with descriptions and explanations a quick tap away.
- Behaviors. The most troublesome are pre-loaded.
- Coaching. If you know you need to use a skill but can't think of which one or can't remember how to choose, use the app. The coaching can be your virtual therapist.
- Complete customizability. Are you working on something different or do you have a different understanding of a particular skill or emotion? Change it. It's that easy. You are not wedded to the way it's presented in the app. It's all completely customizable.
- 911 skills. Put your emergency skills a tap away. You can call directly from the app, listen to your distress tolerance music, remember what apps help in the moment.
- Email. You can email your therapist your diary card on a weekly basis automatically, you can do it manually whenever you'd like or you can have the app remind you.
* Telephony features require an iPhone and voice service.
We periodically update the app to fix bugs and create a better experience for the users.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I want to give it 5 stars but it keeps deleting my past week’s information EDIT
I haven’t updated my review for quite awhile and I apologize for that. Now I love this app, it still sometimes has bugs but they’re usually dealt with in the next update and they’re typically not a big deal. I haven’t used any other diary card app so I can’t compare it to anything but I really do depend on this app for quite a few things including emailing my diary card each week to my DBT co-facilitators. I really do love this app, it’s easy to use and keeps all my data from literally years ago, probably partly due to iCloud but also this app. Anyway apologies for not updating my review in forever!
My original review below 👇🏼
Let me start with saying I love this app. I’ve been using it for years with few negative things to say. I’m getting used to the new interface and am starting to like this version also. However it is now really buggy. Two weeks ago it deleted all my information from the previous week but with a new update restored it. Now this week it again deleted the previous week’s diary cards. I’ve been waiting for a new update to fix this, too, but it hasn’t had an update as of the writing of this review and this time if the developer could fix it—for good—that would be much appreciated. I don’t know if there are any comparable diary card apps but I’d hate to lose all my information with changing apps because if this keeps up I just can’t keep using an app like this that I use for personal information regarding my mental health/other personal stuff being super buggy all the time. Please fix it! Otherwise unfortunately I’ll have to look elsewhere.
Developer Response ,
One of the previous version of the app had problems with the calendar picking the incorrect date. We have fixed that along with a ton of other fixes. Give the app another chance and you will find it to be much improved.
IPhone 11 Issue
The app worked awesome on my previous IPhone. My new IPhone 11 Pro Max the notes are half off the screen and the button you push to enter notes sits on the first note making it difficult to use. I use the notes as my diary for the day so I can reference back to it during my therapy session. I tried to uninstall the app and re-install it but that didn’t fix it, I only lost all my saved information. Feeling frustrated.
After submitted my review an updated was released that fixed the note issues. This is by far the best DBT app I have found. The customization allows me to tailor it to what is being addressed and worked on whole turning off the targets I don’t need to track.
Update.... The IPhone 11 will not allow me to update/edit the time. This feature was handy when I remembered something from the previous day and wanted it to be in the correct order of events for that day.
Developer Response ,
We recently updated the app to better support iPhone 11 and the latest iOS version. If you try the latest version of the app you will see that the issue the mention has been addressed.
Been using this app for awhile, everything is okay at best. Originally when I downloaded it years ago there were no other DBT apps out there. Now, there’s tons, and most of them are free. I paid for this one.
A few things I don’t like: this app resets your previous data from diary cards when you try and customize or fix a target behavior or skill, instead of storing the old data as separate.
Also, it won’t let me add my therapists email for some reason. Her email works until I type the “s” at the end and then I can’t hit the save button.
If you have the money, pay for it. Years ago this was my only option for doing a DBT diary card on my phone. But now, there’s lots of free options out there, I recommend you try a different app.
Developer Response ,
This app was originally released back in 2011. All updates since that time have been completely free of charge. I know that there are more DBT apps available now than there have ever been but there are a couple of things to keep in mind:
1) This remains the only DBT app created and supported by an actual, intensively trained DBT therapist. I've been doing DBT since 2002 when I was trained directly by Dr. Linehan and other major DBT researchers while I was a post-doc at Duke.
2) Even when an app costs no money, it's not really free. I made a decision years ago to charge for the app because development and time cost money. Those free apps - what are they doing with your very personal data? Are they selling ads to target your mood? Are they telling advertisers what you struggle with? No one knows what they are telling advertisers, but you can be sure it's something. There's not another app that you might use that is more personal than this one.
We don't have access to any of your personal data at all. In fact, we don't even know who's downloaded the app. Nothing about you gets transmitted to us or anywhere else. The only time anything leaves this app is when you hit "send" to email your therapist. Your data is completely confidential, as any therapy situation should be.
If you don't want to pay for the app, I understand, but I feel it's important for people to have the whole story. If you need the app and can't afford it, please email me know and I'll see what I can do.
- Durham DBT, Inc.
- 42.9 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2017 Durham DBT, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.