Step back in time and experience Earth history like never before. The award-winning Deep Time Walk is a ground-breaking tool enabling anyone, anywhere to take a walking audio history of our planet.
• Walk 4.6km through 4.6 billion years of deep time, each metre = 1 million years.
• Learn about key concepts from Earth’s long evolution including how Earth formed, the evolution of life, plate tectonics, oxygenic photosynthesis, multicellular life, The Cambrian Explosion, vertebrates, plants, amphibians, mammals, dinosaurs and finally (in the last 20cm) humans.
• Understand our species common ancestral heritage and interconnectedness with all life.
• Comprehend the ecological impact of humans in the blink of a geological eye.
• Time-contextual glossary available to review key scientific concepts.
• Mobility-assist mode available for those unable to walk.
• Use the What's Next portal for positive action (with organisations such as Earth Charter and 350.org).
The dramatised audio is directed by Jeremy Mortimer (over 200 productions for BBC Radio) and designed by Jo Langton (a BBC Studio Manager), with voices provided by leading actors Paul Hilton (Garrow’s Law, The Bill, Silent Witness), Chipo Chung (Doctor Who, Sherlock, Into the Badlands) and Peter Marinker (Love Actually, Event Horizon, Judge Dredd). The script is written by Peter Oswald (ex-playwright in residence at Shakespeare Globe, London) and Dr Stephan Harding.
Produced by Deep Time Walk CIC, a not-for-profit social enterprise based in the UK.
- New extended introductory sequence
- Expanded screens support
- Links to the new, tactile, Deep Time Cards
Ratings and Reviews
Amazing, but the first bit is a turnoff
I loved walking through time with this app, and I have recommended it to friends. But I had issues with the app registering my steps (mobility assist helped with that but would often switch itself off), and I really hated the poem at the beginning.
I’m all in for renewable everything and I do think humans need to change how they use the earth, but that poem was the breast-beating hair-shirt-wearing self-flagellation style that really turns me off. And I nearly turned the app off because of it. I’m glad I stuck it through, but I do tell people to skip that bit. It’s like a concert beginning with crashing, clashing discord, then suddenly switching over to a calm and peaceful harmony for the duration.
I also couldn’t find an explanation anywhere in the app or on their website for the graphic at the top of the app. The colors seem to represent something (oxygen levels, photosynthesis, who knows?), but I can’t figure out what. It’s really got me curious.
I love this app! Best walking app yet! It is filled with information about Earth’s history. I would love to see another app similar to this one. My suggestion would be to create a second app that explains those last 1,000,000 years in more detail.
This was absolutely amazing. The writing, voice acting, and sound design are top notch and draw you in to the dramatic evolution of our universe. Find a nice nature trail and just let your mind wander.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Deep Time Walk C.I.C.
- 104.4 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Deep Time Walk C.I.C.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.