Delta Chat is a messenger that uses the largest, most diverse and decentralized communication system ever created: the existing e-mail server network. Just use your standard e-mail account and start chatting with any of your e-mail contacts, whether they have installed Delta Chat or not.
Technically, Delta Chat is an e-mail application but with a modern chat interface. E-Mail in a new dress if you will. Chat and contact data remain on your devices. No uploads or centralized control of addressbook, calendar or other personal data. There simply are no Delta Chat servers where anything could be uploaded to.
Use Delta Chat with anyone out of billions of people: just use their e-mail address. Recipients will see a simple e-mail and may directly reply with their own e-mail app. They don't need to install Delta Chat, visit websites or sign up anywhere. If you send a picture or other media to a chat group your chat recipients will see a nice regular e-mail with an attachment. If they send a message and attachments back, you will see the media in your chat for this contact.
Delta Chat sends e-mails using your e-mail account and provider of choice. You can change mobile numbers without any trouble or even work without any SIM card or phone number at all. End-to-end encryption is established automatically when chat partners start communicating with each other.
Delta Chat is a relatively young project, but already has a lot to offer. It employs a pragmatic and usability-driven approach to decentralized messaging. No re-inventing of wheels unless one of them causes actual trouble or concern. We rather often think about removing technology than adding yet more of it, trying to keep things maintainable and understandable for us and others. Most popular programming languages and many human languages are involved in the development of Delta Chat apps and the various activities around it.
We are grateful for any help, be it contributing good bug reports, helping other users on the forum, participating in our open development with PRs and reviews, translations to more languages, working on new bots or setting up new experimental mail servers.
* added: multi-account functionality: add and switch accounts from the settings
* added: every new "contact request" is shown as a separate chat now,
you can block or accept or archive or pin them
(old contact requests are available in "Archived Chats")
* added: the title bar shows if the app is not connected
* added: a tap in the title bar shows connectivity details (also available in settings)
* added: allow defining a video chat instance (eg. any jitsi instance)
* added: send video chat invites
* added: receive video chat invites as such
* added: offer a button for quick scrolling down in a chat
* added: connectivity view shows quota information, if supported by the provider
* deactivate and reactivate your own QR codes by just scanning them
* quotes can now refer messages from other chats
* do not show signature in "Saved Messages"
* revert sharing webp files as stickers
* fix forwarding mails containing only quotes
* fix ordering of some system messages
* fix handling of gmail labels
* fix acceping mailing lists
* fix date labels stuck in the seventies sometimes
* fix "show in chat"
* fix sharing issues
* fix: crash in gallery
* fix message input bar and share layout for iPad
* fix: keep keyboard open after cancelling drafts and quotes
* fix displaying of small images
* fix more scrolling issues
* update translations and provider database
Ratings and Reviews
Best app ever
The idea behind this is priceless, some people complain it can’t work with Gmail etc, it’s really sad that big Corp do not follow standard yet this brilliant app got blamed, abandon big Corp people, at least they reach apple level of protection of privacy.
Please add ability to edit/unsend and clear history for messages.
Too much effort
I wanted to try this, because it sounded interesting... The problem was its poorly implemented to login. I have a Gmail account and an office 365 account. Couldn’t get either to work. This makes the product a failure if you can’t simply login to use. This would have been the first step to get absolutely working right to get an audience.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- merlinux GmbH
- 45 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Albanian, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Basque, Cambodian, Catalan, Central Kurdish, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Esperanto, French, Galician, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Lithuanian, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Sardinian, Serbian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2019-2021 Delta Chat contributors
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.