From critically acclaimed storytelling to powerful photography to engaging videos — the Democrat & Chronicle app delivers the local news that matters most to your community.
• Access all of our in-depth journalism, including things to do around town, sports coverage from high school to the pros, and much more.
• Enjoy a streamlined, fast-loading experience that makes it easy to view the stories, photos, and videos that matter to you.
• Get breaking news, sports scores, and weather alerts with real-time notifications tailored to your interests.
• Customize your experience by saving your favorite stories, adjusting text size, using night mode, or reading offline.
• This app is free to download and all users can access a sampling of free articles every month.
• For unlimited access to all content, subscribe now and get 30 days free ($7.99/month after). Or if you are already a subscriber, you can sign in with your existing subscription.
• Subscriptions are charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase and automatically renew each month or year, unless turned off in your iTunes account settings at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period. You can manage your subscriptions and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to your iTunes Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription, where applicable. See "Subscription Support" in the app's Settings for more details and customer service contact information.
• Terms of Service: http://static.democratandchronicle.com/terms/
• Questions or Comments: firstname.lastname@example.org
• We've included some bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Good app with a few fixable problems
The Democrat and Chronicle is the best source of local news in the Rochester area. I enjoy reading stories by Leo Roth, Sal Maiorana, and David Andreatta. However there are a few things that can be improved. For some reason stories about the Buffalo Bills more than a year old are still appearing at the top of the Bills news feed. This forces me to scroll to the bottom to see the most recent news. I submitted a request to fix this and I never heard back.
The D and C is is using more video. Unfortunately this forces the reader to watch a 15 second ad every time you click on a short video. Some of the “videos” contain only text, almost like watching a Power Point slide show. I can tolerate the 15 second ad before a real video (I know ads support the business). But don’t make me watch an ad just to see me a slide show containing only text.
Fix: Breaking News notifications
The app itself is generally fine altho the only notification I have set is “Breaking News” no other notifications are enabled like “Sports” but I’m always getting alerts on how the Bills are doing, player updates or other sports info. Yesterday during the afternoon I received 4 notifications on the Buffalo Bills. This is not “Breaking News” please only push these notifications to subscribers who have the “Sports” notification enabled as it’s truly annoying to be alerted to something that is absolutely not applicable to the notification that has been enabled. Not everyone in Rochester is either a Bills fan or a sports fan in general & it’s a waste of time to be notified for nothing.
Handy but could be better
When I’m traveling or if my paper carrier doesn’t deliver a paper, the app gives me a sense of the local news that is superior to the local tv station sites. I also enjoy some of the video clips. I would enjoy it more if the search function was more user friendly. An example, I was searching for high school sports scores and I struggled to find them until I realized that the category had changed to sectionals. It is still high school, right? So there is room for improvement there but glad we still have a local paper that publishes daily.
- 287.5 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2020 Gannett Co., Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Democrat & Chronicle Digital Subscription $7.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.