Describing Words with Splingo
By The Speech and Language Store
Describing Words with Splingo is the latest app from the authors of the highly popular Splingo speech therapy apps series.
Describing words, or Adjectives, are a fundamental part of what gives our wonderful language its richness and depth. Imagine a world where we didn’t use describing words to elaborate, embellish, decorate or enhance our language. Pretty dull huh?
Children, particularly those with difficulties acquiring speech and language, need help to develop their use of adjectives. We can do this by modelling such language in everyday situations but many kids also love the gameplay of apps to hep reinforce their learning.
Describing Words with Splingo uses nearly 1000 high-quality images and a customizable menu to reinforce over 100 different adjectives of differing complexity.
How to play:
Learn describing words by listening carefully to Splingo the Alien’s instructions.
Use the menu in Settings to customize the words that you want your child to practice. You can also choose between the US or UK voice.
Once in the gameplay screens, listen to the instructions and touch to select the correct image. Immediate visual and auditory feedback is provided to teach your child the correct vocabulary. There is a Record and Playback feature for monitoring children’s responses. Correct responses lead to a separate reward game (build and race a car!) to help keep your child focused and motivated.
Why it works:
The Splingo series of apps has been designed by Speech and Language Pathologists/Therapists with over 35 years of experience to help children listen to and understand verbal language.
Children's natural fascination with technology encourages engagement with speech and language apps and allows us to target specific language and vocabulary, alongside more traditional play based approaches to learning.
At the Speech and Language Store we take your privacy seriously. As parents ourselves, the safety of children online (and any everywhere else!) is extremely important to us.
• We do not collect personally identifiable information within our apps (for example first and last name, address etc.). Identifiers from your device are only collected for internal usage to help improve app design and performance. For example, information is collected on app crashes, number of installs (sales) and app usage time. This is collected through a third party provider; Flurry which is part of Yahoo (https://developer.yahoo.com/analytics/). The restricted version of Flurry Analytics ("Flurry") is used. We do not track any more information than is necessary to improve the quality of our apps and services. The information collected by the third party provider is used solely by us and not shared with anyone else.
• None of our apps contain In App Purchases
• Our apps do not use or collect a user’s geographic location
• Our apps do not contain Social Network Integration
• Our apps do not contain any advertising banners
• All our apps contain links to our website and Facebook/Twitter pages. These links are found on a contained, adult-targeted settings screen separate from game play screens, and are for parents/professionals to find out more about our apps. These links are behind a parental gate, which requires the user to follow a written instruction to gain access.
Technical update for analytics.
- The Speech And Language Store LLP
- 225.3 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- Copyright © 2018 The Speech And Language Store LLP
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.