DesktopShelves helps you fight the clutter on your desktop by organizing files on shelves. A shelf the size of 5 icons holds 20 files.
"Thank you for a solid product, that I believe has the potential to be a STANDARD for every Mac owner!!" —Dom
"Very handy way to tidy up the desktop." —Michael
"DesktopShelves is such a great and ingenious application." —Regina
The app takes a refreshing approach to organizing files. It focuses on saving space on your screen while allowing you to always quickly access your files (via hotkey).
Everything is drag and drop. You can even drop text selections on a shelf and a new file is created automatically. Right-click and drag a file away from a shelf to insert its contents into another application such as Mail (great for keeping a "shelf" with frequently used mail templates, for example).
• Finder integration: Open any folder as a shelf on the desktop right from the Finder context menu (requires restart to activate first time).
• Choose from different shelf designs or create your own: The designs make your desktop unique and help you to tell your shelves apart. Design your own or download additional designs from the web.
• Drop a text selection on a shelf and get a new file: Found something on the web that you'd like to remember? Select it, drag and drop it on a shelf, done.
• Works great with text snippets: Right-click and drag a file away from a shelf to paste its text contents into other applications such as Mail, TextEdit, etc. (works for plain and rich text files).
• Access your shelves with a hotkey: Bring your shelves on top of all other windows to quickly access your files.
• Drag & drop everywhere: Drop files from the desktop or Finder onto shelves or the other way around from your shelves into other applications.
- The app's menu bar icon now shows when using the dark menu bar theme
Ratings and Reviews
Very Helpful Utility!
I do a lot of presenting and it's extremely useful to be able to retrieve the document I want on the spot as needed. I have more than 100 documents across 19 sehelves on my desktop. Whenever I access it (using the touchpad hand gesture that spreads away everything but my desktop), people are impressed with the capability and organization this utitlity helps me produce. I espacially like the Swedish style shelf ;)
Very Helpful and I highly recommend
Although I am pretty organized in general, having folders on my desktop rather than lots of files, this app has made my life so much easier. My favorite thing is being able to press 2 keys and have the shelves pulled on top of whatever window is open so I can access my files that way. I cannot express how frustrating it has been having to go back and forth with the document I am trying to reference! Now I just press the control and minus keys, the shelves appear and I can get to any file and open it right on top of the window I am working from-it has made my workday so much more pleasant! I know, it is the simple things, right? Additionally, it is fun getting to choose the look of each shelve. I use the clean look of the "Swedish" shelf for most of my shelves (current year files, Notebooks, To Do) because I like a uniform look, and then I have a fun one that makes sense based on my current project. Right now I am scanning in all of the ending fiscal year's finances so I am using a gold parchment paper type looking shelf that I downloaded from their website and it somehow makes the job more interesting! I look forward to choosing a shelf so that gives me a little nudge when I feel like putting off starting a new project. It just adds a little bit of fun to my day.
Potential for great organizing tool
This app could be the Drag Thing of OS X if it had a few more options for customization. I have been using this to make frequently-opened documents easily accessible from one neat place on my desktop, for which it works very well. I have only begun to investigate the potential of the desktop shelf for organizing text clippings and writing projects, but I think it could be quite useful.
I do like the appearance options, although I would like to see greater variability from "large" to "small" in icon and shelf size and perhaps some way to vary the angle at which icons are displayed on the shelves when not in focus. Very much appreciated is the ability to sort items according to varying criteria, especially since the way the icons are currently displayed makes it difficult to tell them apart visually.
I think this is a really cool idea and could become an elegant but powerful way to organize files.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.