Download the essential and most comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com app is designed and optimized for your mobile device.
Works offline! Install the offline dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, , Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming Dictionaries
- Offline Dictionary + Remove ads
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Pro App.
Voice. noun. Something you can now use when searching for the definition of a word.
Our push notifications just got a whole lot better too. Travel anywhere in the world and receive real-time notifications and alerts from Dictionary.com.
You may also notice our Word of the Day has had a makeover. Check out the polished new look!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Dictionary of the day is awesome!
Dictionary of the day is an effective and fun way to easily increase your vocabulary or remind you of words that might have slipped your mind over the years or for that moment when you are distracted and do not want to wake up slapping your forehead at 3AM. Also, one of the biggest benefits is that I am usually able to sneak in at least 3-5 other new/remembered words after reading the daily one. This is why I initially got the app. However, after now using this Dictionary app every day over the course of years; I have found it to be helpful, efficient, easy to use and can be fun and diverting. The reasonable price is the cost of an high calorie, high cholesterol, fattening and unhealthy CappaFrappaAnywayYouLikeItCino and once you enjoy that drink it will be gone forever. But this wonderful Dictionary/Thesaurus with all of it’s content will be with you forever. Considering other options that I have personally used; such as MW, et. al., I most highly recommend this app.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for your great review! We really appreciate your kind words!
It means so much to us that our app serves you well. If you ever experience any issues with our app, please reach out to our support team for help! We are here for you!
Where did all these forced ads come from???
1) The ads are overkill to say the least. This used to be. 5 star app- I never had to deal with all these stupid pop-ups and inescapable video ads. You’re lucky Siri’s integrated thesaurus is so limited or else I would’ve deleted this app a long time ago.
2)Personally this has become a more recently growing issue. I’ll search thesaurus for word, “x”, with 0 results, no synonyms available. However, if I search for something synonymous with “x”, such as “n”, a whole list of synonyms pop up, including “x”!! ugh 🤷🏻♀️🤦🏻♀️
Other times when I’m looking through a given list of synonyms , I’ve clicked on a word for its definition, but there is no definition available bc the dictionary doesn't even recognize this word exists. . Vise versa after looking up a definition , I’ll try to use thesaurus on it , but it comes up no synonyms available.
And trust me both problems are equally frustrating. Seriously, how can you know the synonymy of a word on one side of your app, but can’t deliver its friggin definition on the other side. Stupid.
Gone completely dowhill
I downloaded this app on the first iPod I ever received about 10 yeas ago because I was stuck in the countryside during the summers in an area that only carried one cellphone company’s tower (but not in the house I stayed in, spotty at best in the rest of town, and naturally not the one I had anyway). I got a lot of reading done...so many books. This app gave me the ability to look up words as I tried to expand my vocabulary and interests in other genres/forced summer reading for school. It was the offline feature that drew me to the application in the first place, the only limit of having no internet was the inability to here the audio pronunciation. It was perfect! How such a feature would be a paid service now, disadvantaging children and adults who may have limited access to internet services is disgusting. Would be enough for me to rate one star but then on top of that you’ve put so many intrusive ads as to make this app unusable even if you have internet unless you pay for the upgrade. Shameful
- Dictionary.com, LLC
- 154.6 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 and watchOS 2.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2017
- In-App Purchases
- 300 Voice to Text Searches $0.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches $3.99
- Example Sentences Upgrade $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.