Download the essential and most comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com app is designed and optimized for your mobile device.
Works offline! Install the offline dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, , Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming Dictionaries
- Offline Dictionary + Remove ads
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Pro App.
Updates. Noun. Something you should keep turned on so you never miss an improvement from Dictionary.com!
Did you notice the Origin tab is missing? You're right. We still have origins available alongside definitions, but we have removed the tab for now.
Origin is a noun that can mean the first stage of existence, and we promise we're working on a second stage of the tab that will be even better.
Speaking of better, we made some fixes that fit the definition to a T.
Ratings and Reviews
A wonderful tool for elementary students too.
My daughter uses this app almost everyday as a companion to reading her novels. She oftentimes comes across words she is unfamiliar with. The dictionary app provides a quick way to access words while she still holds onto her book. We also did homework together last night and the thesaurus feature was wonderfully designed so that one can search antonyms and synonyms while effortlessly switching back to the definition of the original words and newly found words. Lastly, this is a "must purchase" app. You'll experience the app best by having no interruptions. This is important especially if you want a child to use it to build vocabulary while reading independently.
Where did all these forced ads come from???
1) The ads are overkill to say the least. This used to be. 5 star app- I never had to deal with all these stupid pop-ups and inescapable video ads. You’re lucky Siri’s integrated thesaurus is so limited or else I would’ve deleted this app a long time ago.
2)Personally this has become a more recently growing issue. I’ll search thesaurus for word, “x”, with 0 results, no synonyms available. However, if I search for something synonymous with “x”, such as “n”, a whole list of synonyms pop up, including “x”!! ugh 🤷🏻♀️🤦🏻♀️
Other times when I’m looking through a given list of synonyms , I’ve clicked on a word for its definition, but there is no definition available bc the dictionary doesn't even recognize this word exists. . Vise versa after looking up a definition , I’ll try to use thesaurus on it , but it comes up no synonyms available.
And trust me both problems are equally frustrating. Seriously, how can you know the synonymy of a word on one side of your app, but can’t deliver its friggin definition on the other side. Stupid.
Gone completely dowhill
I downloaded this app on the first iPod I ever received about 10 yeas ago because I was stuck in the countryside during the summers in an area that only carried one cellphone company’s tower (but not in the house I stayed in, spotty at best in the rest of town, and naturally not the one I had anyway). I got a lot of reading done...so many books. This app gave me the ability to look up words as I tried to expand my vocabulary and interests in other genres/forced summer reading for school. It was the offline feature that drew me to the application in the first place, the only limit of having no internet was the inability to here the audio pronunciation. It was perfect! How such a feature would be a paid service now, disadvantaging children and adults who may have limited access to internet services is disgusting. Would be enough for me to rate one star but then on top of that you’ve put so many intrusive ads as to make this app unusable even if you have internet unless you pay for the upgrade. Shameful
- Dictionary.com, LLC
- 135.6 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2017
- In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade $2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches $3.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.