This is the most popular dictionary of physics available today. It contains over 4,000 entries covering all widely used physics terms and concepts, as well as terms from the related fields of astronomy, astrophysics, and physical chemistry. With more than 200 new entries and expanded coverage in areas including applied physics, statistical distributions, polymers, and nanoscience, the Oxford Dictionary of Physics is more comprehensive than ever before.
The dictionary is generously illustrated with over 120 diagrams, graphs, and tables. Feature entries provide in-depth analysis of key topics such as crystal defects, magnetic resonance imaging, and the solar system. Three feature entries on low-temperature physics, nanophysics, and quantum entanglement are completely new to this edition, as are entry-level web links.
Ideal for students of physics at A-Level and undergraduate level, as well as students of related science subjects. Also valuable for professionals and for anyone who comes into contact with physics terms and concepts.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – the colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - with a new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches - you can now get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak with Talk & Translate – use this speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the functional, clean and easy-to-use interface. Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry using your speech.
• Automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ that corrects word spelling and a ‘Wild card’ that allows you to replace a letter or entire parts of a word with '*' or '?' when you don’t know how it`s spelled.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you the freedom to structure your studies, this dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
• iOS 12 Support
• Beautifully integrated for iPhone XS
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
I love the Oxford Dictionaries. The fact that I can have instant access to so many dimensions of the English Language right on my iPhone and iPad is a great boon.
Oxford is the authoritative source I go to for all English language questions.
This comment was to be specifically about the Physics Dictionary, which as a Physicist I frequently find very useful. However, I have a moment so why not take this opportunity to express my gratitude for the Oxford Dictionary’s all together. I consider Oxford to be an essential resource.
Awful app for 10 bucks
Do not buy, it is a bunch of static content that is poorly organized. For example the table of contents is less than 20 items. I love supporting physics apps, but this is too poorly executed.
App needs a decent table of contents so that scope of what is available can be shown, in addition it needs more diagrams to explain topics contained within. That would get my rating up to 3 stars.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.