Dictionary Universal is iPhone, iPod touch and iPad application for viewing StarDict dictionaries and dictionaries in Lingvo DSL format ¹. Many of these dictionaries are available on the Internet for free ².
* Very fast. After dictionary is indexed, minimal time is required to start before you can type text. List of matches appears without delay while you type.
* Supports morphology for English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
* Fuzzy search. This functionality will help you find words if they are misspelled or when you don't know how to type word correctly. Just type in the text and hit Search button on the keyboard.
* Pronunciation support.
* Searching text in currently displayed article.
* Profiles group dictionaries, pronunciation and morphology for quick switching. Useful if you work with several languages.
* Favorites and Search History.
* Ability to lookup word in clipboard when switching to the application. Copy word to clipboard and switch to Dictionary Universal to see translation.
* Most complete StarDict format support in the AppStore (including images, synonyms, and various dictionary formats).
* Color highlighting for better text readability (when supported by dictionary format).
* Arbitrary word lookup. Tap any word in article to lookup it in loaded dictionaries.
*Full screen mode support.
*Multitouch gestures support:
- swipe horizontally to switch between dictionaries;
- swipe with two fingers from left to right for navigating to previous article;
- tap with two fingers to toggle full screen mode.
* Compressed dictionaries and resources support.
* Embedded web browser for downloading dictionaries from the Internet.
* Multitasking and iTunes File Sharing.
¹ Lingvo DSL format is a text format with dictionary source code. Dictionary Universal does not support compiled Lingvo dictionaries (LSD format).
² No dictionaries are bundled with the application. You will need StarDict or Lingvo DSL dictionaries to use them with the application.
* iOS 13 support
* Dark mode support (iOS 13)
* Shortcuts integration
* Dictionaries and pronunciation can now be installed from file browser
Ratings and Reviews
Thank you so much for making this. Best money I ever spent on the App Store.
Are support for shortcuts possible in the future?
I have nothing but praise for this app. I have used it now for a number of years. It is fast, stable and reliable. Now with ios13 support and dark mode its better.
My only complaint is still no split screen support. When doing language study, the lack of ability to dock the program next to reading material is frustrating.
Even so, this is worth every penny and kudo’s to the great developer.
Good dictionary app with some room for improvement.
Thank you for the ongoing support of this dictionary app.
It would really be helpful if you could add the following features:
1. Option to display all definitions results from all relevant installed dictionary in one list (instead of showing dictionary results in different pages with the need to swipe between dictionaries).
2. Split screen multitasking support, to use the dictionary alongside other apps.
3. Option to easily share definition results with other people with a share button.
Wish you can make this happen.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Dmitry Zhuk
- 4.3 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2009-2020 Dmitry Zhuk
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.