"Different Drummer blows my mind and that's pretty hard to do."—Dave Taub, drummer for Billy Idol, John Lennon, Yes and many more.
Don't let the name fool you. Different Drummer is a powerful rhythmic MUSIC generator for ANY instruments or samples (with harmonies) that happens to work Very Well for drums too. It's also an amazing Midi Controller and MIDI file creator.
Create everything from simple or complex patterns, non-repeating music, straight or poly rhythms, human or robot feel, arpeggios, chord progressions, fills, sequences and much at your fingertips using this one-of-a-kind app.
This may be the best music idea finder anywhere in the galaxy!
This is an essential tool for those seeking new beats and sequences but our customers say it best:
Most used app in the toolbox *****
"I have plenty of music apps...synths, DAWs, sequencers, beat boxes, effects, drum machines...you name it, but Different Drummer has been the MOST used of all of them."
This is your secret weapon in the quest for innovative beats and music that make sense yet defy the status quo. Different Drummer taps into the primal source of all rhythm—waves. DD puts out multi-track music which is lifelike and primal at times and out of this world at others. It's a rhythmic music synthesizer that uses waves to play any sound in astonishing ways that vary from electro to dubstep to tribal to classical.
This software was created with music in mind—but in the spirit of discovering what is next in music, not just finding a new way to do the same thing like so many music apps do so well. If you are a pioneer or care about where music is going, this app is for you.
Easy to start learning, always discovering more. Adjust note, rest, tie, panning, beat and dynamics waves for the ultimate range of expression. You will never exhaust the endless possibilities of Different Drummer and you are guaranteed to discover legit beats that no one has ever heard before.
No matter how many apps you have...not having Different Drummer is a loss. To not possess this musical wonder is committing a Groove Crime in your studio or live setup!
• 8 Sampler Tracks + Jam-along track with 6-wave Cyclophone Controls plus 2 harmonies on each main track.
• AudioBus 3 with State Saving, Remote Triggers and Inter-App audio out & background play
• Stereo audio recording. Export via Audioshare, Dropbox or iTunes or AudioCopy or General Pasteboard (to GarageBand for example)
• Ableton Link 3 enabled
• Zenterface™ let's you work in a more simplified radial view and is just fun!
• Progression Composer makes it easy to create guide tracks or multi-track arpeggios
• Jammer panel to play along with the music
• Jamlets panel lets you create endless action buttons for live jamming, saved with your presets
• Control drum pitches, rests, ties, dynamics, panning and beat value using additive waves
• Instant Capture in case you hear a killer beat you want saved on auto random
• Save Wave Presets to Wave Library and share with other users in Community
• 37 Preset Drum styles you can fully mess with (these are for fun, not the main purpose)
• String Wave Sets together in saved Sequences and share in Community
• Export Wave Sets or Sequences as MIDI Files (via iTunes, AudioShare, Email or Dropbox)
• Over 190 drum and sound FX samples with more added every update
• Add your own 24-bit samples via iTunes (WAV or CAF), AudioPaste or DropBox
• Over 75 musical scales to assign drums or instruments to as well as key
• Channel Volume, Filter, Distortion and Reverb Mixer
• Set Key, Tempo, Swing and Time Signature
• Automation for randomizing and morphing playback with snap-back option
• MIDI Sync Out and In
• Up to 8 Channels of MIDI Out
• Dedicated Wave for any Midi CC with Learn
• Core MIDI lets you play other synthesizers and drum machines on your iPad such as Animoog and NLog Pro or external hardware
To hear Different Drummer in action and learn more please go to www.technemedia.com
Fixed display issues in iOS 14
Updated Audiobus code
Added new Advance Wave feature in Jammer Panel
Ratings and Reviews
Messy interface, but fantastic app
This is one of the most unique apps I have, and it is proving to be one that prompts lots of creative ideas. The concept of using waves to manipulate pitch, timing, panning, volume, etc. tends to pull my music in many unexpected (but good) directions.
I would love to give this five stars, but feel that it does have a weakness in that the interface is cluttered, over-engineered, dated, and not particularly intuitive. It doesn’t lend itself to live performance, and uses some very non-standard graphics not seen in most apps. A good example would be the graphic used in place of the standard X that other apps use to close windows; considering the cluttered interface, it would be more user friendly to just use the smaller and more recognizable X.
Really great app by the developers, but badly in need of some UI and UX design updates.
Developer Response ,
Thank you, working to "declutter" and beautify the interface. Takes a lot of time! Funny, it used to be an X...but you may be right.
The Newest Member of My One-Man Band
Different Drummer is now a magic bullet in my music composition arsenal. I have been looking for an app that will put out algorithmic but very controllable and interesting MIDI material to record into my sequencer. I enjoy “collaborating” with algorithmic sources, and because of the depth of features, I can already tell that Different Drummer will produce satisfying MIDI material for me to manipulate for a long time to come. The internal sound engine is decent as well, and I have recorded some great stuff using Inter-App Audio.
There is one issue (v4.6.1) that I hope will be resolved soon: Ableton Link integration is not functioning properly.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your excellent review. Please contact us through the app and we'll make sure to resolve the Link issue with an update ASAP once we have the specifics.
Kudos to this developer...this app is a major experimental tour de force.
I kid you not. This is crazy versatile when you get a grip on what you can achieve with this. The big cornucopia of sounds is awesome, but you can also import your own soundbites! No probs when I brought in the 24/48’s. Access to Audioshare is in there. You can set up a bunch of short soundbites in AS, go into the wave section of DD, click the plus sign and choose/import/choose/import... ad infinitum.
Clean sounding, no detected glitch. Variable-pass for each track right up in the front interface is so cool. You can push the sound in each of the tracks through filter and distortion.
Randomization! Highly configurable.
I haven’t checked on midi configurations yet, but it’s probably going to be a friggin blast.
Granted, the interface is slightly difficult to navigate, but there’s so much capability jam-packed in this, that imho there’s no easy way to arrange the visual elements.
Read the manual while groking what’s going on, because it will definitely guide you well.
Keep experimenting with DD...you’ll be glad you expended a few brain cells getting there.
Developer Response ,
What a fantastic review! Your musical boldness and efforts are greatly appreciated and makes many years of development worthwhile. Hope it brings you much enjoyment as you discover new things. Thank you!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Hologramophone Research, Inc.
- 108.7 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2012-2021 Techné Media. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.