Diffordsguide Cocktails #9 is here !!
Cocktails #8 was the top drinks app according to 'The Sunday Times App list', their definitive guide to the best 500 apps in the world today - The best just got better....
** Diffords Guide Cocktails #9 **
No other cocktail app offers this many cocktails, all with professional photography.
The most complete and authoritative cocktail publication available with over 2,800+ recipes, all illustrated with a beautiful full colour photograph.
Now in it's 9th edition, the book this application is based on is widely regarded by members of the drinks industry as the most complete and authoritative cocktail publication available. Since 2001, this trusted title has built a loyal following amongst the top international bartending fraternity as well as discerning drinkers and keen amateur mixologists. This application contains a massive 2,800+ cocktail recipes, all stipulating the correct glass and illustrated with a beautiful colour photograph. Many even have the name of their creator or a story attached.
- 2800+ Easy to follow cocktail recipes
- ALL recipes accompanied by a full colour professional photograph.
- Mark what bottles you actually have at home in the 'Cocktail Cabinet' and see what cocktails you can make using them.
- All cocktails contain a comment and rating from top British drinks aficionado Simon Difford.
- Filter your cocktails in many different categories, such as Creamy, Blended, Hot etc.
- My Bar feature, show all the cocktails you can make using the contents of your cabinet
- 'If you like this' feature..based on the cocktail you are looking at, you can see other drinks you may like
- Add your own cocktail rating.
- Create your favorite cocktail list.
- Search for cocktails by name, rating or ingredients.
- Bartenders basics, learn about shaking, rolling, layering, muddling etc.
- Bartenders kit, an extensive guide to what kit every cocktail maker should own
- Essential store cupboard ingredients list
- View extensive information about which glasses to use, including pictures of each.
- Garnishes and how to use them
- Email recipes to your friends.
- Introduction by Simon Difford
- Shake for a random cocktail !!
- Super Fast
- Operates without an Internet connection.
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
- Bug Fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Not very user friendly
The idea is very interesting - tap on all the bottles you have and they appear in "my cabinet". Recommended cocktails are then made based on what you have on hand. The one big problem is that the bottle database has huge omissions. For example, you will not be able to find Beefeater Gin; Smirnoff Vodka; Plymouth Gin; Bulleit Rye; and surprise surprise Angostura Bitters ( but the orange version is included). This app is just illogical.
What is needed is a complete update on the bottle database and a redesign of the total app. I challenge anyone to find the "my cabinet" section in under an hour.
Incompatible with iOS 14
Since upgrading to iOS 14 this app immediately crashes on launch.
This app has a lot of recipes, and they are undeniably good. Many of the cocktails are accompanied by a comment or some historical background on the drink, which can be helpful, and the images give you a helpful guide for how to serve your drinks. However, I you want this to be anything more than a basic cocktail dictionary, you are going to be very disappointed.
There is no way I have found to filter the list of displayed cocktails by a specific liqueur—the My Bar section has potential, theoretically allowing you to specify what you have on hand and get recommendations from the app, but changing what bottles are "enabled" does not have any effect on the list displayed in the My Bar tab of the program. Speaking of the tabs, the interface is not particularly intuitive—switching to the My Bar cabinet is a small icon in the corner that is easy to pass over at first glance, and the tabs used to switch between the help menu and the main cocktail list do not resemble the tabs in other applications, making their function uncertain for untrained users.
Most frustratingly, and the real deal breaker for me (although not being able to filter is a pretty bad start), you can't jump around based on ingredients. The names of liqueurs and other ingredients are bolder in the cocktail descriptions, but you cannot tap on e.g. Amaretto to see a list of other amaretto cocktails. The only way to jump from one cocktail to another is a very brief list of recommended drinks, which don't give you any information other than the photo and the name of the drink. If I am looking up a drink that uses Midori, I'd like to be able to tap on Midori to see other drinks that use that ingredient, not to have to intrust my evening to the whims of a dangerously narrow list of recommended cocktails. Think Wikipedia, for cocktails: that's how I interpreted the marketing, and there is absolutely no support for such filtering or jumping that I can find.
In short, this is a good app, and there ARE redeeming features—a glassware guide, mixing tips, and other good pieces of advice for bartenders are coupled with a fairly comprehensive and descriptive list of many of the world's best mixed drinks, in a fairly attractive package. But if you have any interest in exploring cocktail based on a particular flavor, or if you think the My Bar section is going to help you figure out what to do with that sour apple liqueur you've had lying around for five years, don't take this app at face value—you are going to be disappointed. Go spend that $6 on a nip of a liqueur you haven't tried instead.
The developer, Fizz Software Ltd., has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Fizz Software Ltd.
- 177.5 MB
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © Fizz Software Ltd
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.