Customized to each public lands unit, Discover Nature Apps raise the interpretive bar by delivering an experience that’s second only to having your own personal interpretive guide, one with a sense of humor!
Discover Nature App modules encourage people to lift their heads and explore their surroundings in a way that’s interactive, educational and, best of all, fun!
Incorporating outstanding local photography, clever and substantive clues, comprehensive background information, and exceptional design, Discover Nature is a must for getting the most out of your visit to national wildlife refuges, parks and other protected lands!
· Scavenger hunt-style game with fun and interesting clues about the specific location’s diverse wildlife and habitat.
· Game scores are awarded for correct answers and users receive a total at the end, along with a virtual badge that can be shared on social media. *
· Post GPS-tagged wildlife sightings and accompanying photographs, allowing others to share your experience and excitement! **
· Record bird sightings and keep count in your personal virtual passport.
· Share photos, sightings, virtual postcard, and scores with your friends and family on Facebook!
· Check real-time conditions and sightings remotely by viewing on-the-ground users’ sightings and photographs.
· Build your own photo album, stored within the App.
· Information pages that offer background on the specific protected area, its hours of operation and other useful visitor information, as well as information about the mission of broader public lands systems.
· Fun Facts that both entertain and educate users about the protected area’s flora, fauna and history.
· VisAlert that allows public lands managers to alert users to unique sightings, trail closings, hazards and other items of interest.
· Resource section includes information about local services including restaurants, hotels, rentals and others.
· Efficient content build means a quick download (nature can’t wait!).
* Game and information screens will operate without cell coverage after the initial download.
** If cell service is not available for upload at the time of the sighting, tagged images and tips will upload once service is recovered.
*** Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Available Module Downloads
· Discover Ding NWR- Free
· Discover Oregon Islands Seabirds at Haystack Rock- Free
· Discover Oregon Islands Seabirds at Yaquina Head - Free
· Discover Oregon Islands Seabirds at Coquille Point - Free
· Discover Humboldt Bay NWR at Salmon Creek - Free
· Discover Humboldt Bay NWR at Ma’Le’l Dunes - Free
· Discover Okefenokee NWR - Free
· Discover San Diego NWR at South San Diego Bay (in English and Spanish!) – Free
· Discover San Diego NWR at Sweetwater Marsh (in English and Spanish!) - Free
- Discover NCTC (National Conservation Training Center) – Free
- Discover Stillwater NWR – Free
- Discover Desert NWR at Corn Creek – Free
- Discover Modoc NWR – Free
- Discover Mahr Park - Free
- Discover Anaho Island NWR – Free
- Discover Salton Sea NWR – Free
- Discover Kern NWR - Free
Major bug fix
Ratings and Reviews
Great park info!
Great app to use while visiting parks and recreational areas across the country. Has fun games for kids of all ages, and useful park information such as trail info and maps. Great way to keep kids engaged and it’s loaded with interesting facts about the parks! You don’t need cell service once it’s downloaded to use, which is really nice as well. It’s best to download the app and have it all ready before you visit each park so your equipped as soon as you arrive.
Family-friendly app with great interface
Had a blast using this app recently on a trip to West Virginia. The GPS allows you to get specific information along the route. It’s a great way to keep kids engaged as they look for various birds and animals along the route and the app pop is up interesting factoids as well. Highly recommend getting this for the parks where it’s available, really well done and fun to use.
Not JUST a fun game, but a GREAT tool
Played the game for the first time during a visit to the San Diego refuge. It was So much fun and really packed with interesting information. I learned a TON! And chuckled more than a few times. Even now while home (particularly on a grey day) I enjoy scrolling through the Nationwide Sightings feed or flipping through the beautiful information pages. Looking forward to getting out and playing again.
- DISCOVER NATURE APPS
- 52.8 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2014 Discover Nature Apps
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.