THE PRO-QUALITY DJ MIXING APP
NEW VERSION INTRODUCES PLUG AND PLAY SUPPORT FOR iRIG PADS!
DJ Rig is a full-featured, double-deck DJ mixing app for iPhone. It provides instant song-playing from the device’s music library, automatic tempo sync and beat match, sample-based pads and performance recording, plus an arsenal of high-quality DJ effects. When used with the new iRig MIX audio mixer for iOS devices, DJ Rig provides the most portable professional setup for mobile DJs and musicians.
DJ Rig has many professional features not found in other DJ apps like its unique beat match, its selection of 12 high-quality DJ effects with XY control, built-in sampling pads, multiple cue points, crossfade curves and X-Sync. X-Sync (available when used with iRig MIX) enables anyone to automatically synchronize the app audio with any other external audio source like a second iOS device but also regular CD or MP3 players.
Professional DJ Features:
• Landscape and portrait interfaces
• Direct access to music library and playlists with instant play
• Deck controls: Volume, Pitch, 3-Band Kill EQ, Headphones and Crossfader
• Tempo controls for fine BPM adjustments
• 3 crossfader curves for customizing fades
• Drag and zoom of waveform display
• Auto-level detect and adjust for the perfect balance between decks
• Crossfade filter allows fading between decks with bass or high filters for smooth and perfect transitions
• Customizable deck interface (available for in-app purchase)
• Multiple output configurations for virtually any audio setup
• Supports all major digital audio formats including MP3, AAC, WAV, AIFF
• Live recorder allows you to record full mixing gigs
• Export your mixes via file sharing
Mix & Scratch
• Tempo Sync
• Beat Match – for the first time, a DJ iOS app that can align songs’ beats
• Fast BPM detection, beat analysis and beat map saving
• 4 visual cue points per song (1 built-in plus 3 available as in app purchase)
• Automatic looping, create loops with beat-accurate tempo divisions
• Accurate scratching engine modeled on real deck behavior with CloneDeck™ technology for scratching with cut-to-the-beat
• X-Sync mode detects the BPM from external audio sources in real-time and automatically syncs the audio/tempo of internal decks to external devices (when used with iRig MIX)
• 12 Effects included in the full version: LowPass Filter, BandPass Filter, HighPass Filter, Delay, Stutter, Phazer, Crush, Flanger, Compressor, Fuzz, Reverb, Autowah
• 6 available in-app purchase effects: Noise, Tail, Brake, Spin, Twist Up, Twist Down
• XY touch interface
• All effects are BPM-synched
• Multiple controls
• Extra filter available
• On-the-fly sampler machine
• 9 pads matrix with assignable pads
• 15 sound banks available (8 built-in plus 7 available for in-app purchase)
• Live sampling functionality
• Pitch control
For more information:
- General reliability improvements
Ratings and Reviews
I like this app. It maybe should have gotten three stars due to the fact that it does crash and seems buggy but the potential of this app upgraded me to four stars. The trance effects (as well as others) could fade out at the completion of their effect rather than cut off immediately. In the two deck view, I couldn't figure out how to LOAD the next songs (if it's the plus sign, it didn't work). There is a headphone icon on the decks - they wouldn't respond when pressed. The SYNC is excellent. Would also like to load a playlist and let this app, "DJ RIG", shuffle, sync, and play the songs for a hands free, continuous mix. The upside to this app is great. Hey people in "DJ RIG" land, please commit to fixing the bugs and I promise you that I will try anchovies on my pizza. Pllleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaassssssseeeeeee.
So far, so good...
Everything works great, and I'm sure this could be really good once I learn how to use it; but the packed UI prevents the ease of doing anything flawlessly. I often get lost in menus, and the fact that it doesn't transfer the menu when you switch orientation makes things bothersome. Also, an actual timer would be nice; one where you can see both the time taken and the time left in the song so you don't need to switch to the waveform view to know when to cue the next song. Either that, or make the waveform view omnipresent. Also, I think the expansion is a bit overpriced for the small amount of content it gives you. Other than some small annoyances, though, this app is very good for the initial price!
A great first release, now where do we go from here?
IK's newest app, DJ rig, is designed for use with their newest product, the iRig MIX. However, this app has potential to be used apart from its companion hardware. For $7 (including the in-app purchase for the "pro bundle") you get 12 FX, a 3 band EQ (which doesn't completely kill sound when set to minimums D:) two decks 4 cue points and an advanced sync function that is (in theory) able to line up your beats perfectly. Some features, such as the X Sync function, I haven't tested because I don't have the requisite hardware (an iRig mix) but I will update this review once I've tried it.
Some cons: the sync button very rarely gets my beats lined up (I mostly play dubstep, which has some tricky beats, so I'm not too surprised. It works very well with 4/4 electronic music though)
Also, the search function is very slow (and I do mean VERY slow) on an iPad 1
Lastly there's no iPad version, but as I understand that will be corrected for future versions
- IK Multimedia US, LLC
- 41.7 MB
Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2012 IK Multimedia Production srl
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Bundle $9.99
- Multiple CUEs $1.99
- FX Bundle 2 $3.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.