A powerful, complete, and easy to use podcast player that will help you manage and listen to podcasts the way you want to.
Now with CarPlay support!
"Downcast: Probably The Best Podcast Downloader for iPad and iPhone" - Wired Gadget Lab
• Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts of any size
• Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
• Download podcasts automatically
• Continue podcast downloads in the background*
• Browse and download older podcast episodes
• Auto-refresh podcast feeds
• Settings for auto-download and episode retention
• Import and export podcast feeds via OPML
• Import supported audio/video media files
• Support for password-protected podcasts
• Create and edit "smart" playlists
• View podcast details and episode show notes
• Rename podcast titles
iCloud Syncing with other iOS devices or Macs**
• Podcast subscriptions
• Episode information
• Video and audio AirPlay support
• .5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.25x, 2.5x and 3x speed playback
• Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
• Stream episodes without downloading
• Playback control from external devices
• Bluetooth devices
• Headphone remote controls
• Devices connected via Lightning/dock connector
• View embedded images in podcast episodes
• Gesture support
• Sleep timer
• Google Cast™ Ready
For support, please search our support site at http://support.downcastapp.com or email us at email@example.com!
For the latest information about Downcast, please follow @downcastapp on Twitter!
* Per iOS restrictions
** iCloud syncing with Macs requires Downcast for Mac, which is a separate purchase from the Mac App Store
• iOS 13 Support: Dark mode, updated in-list search UI, more consistency in the standard light theme.
• Performance improvements, a couple of significant one.
• Battery usage improvements
• Improved layout for podcast/episode details views
• Improved pull behavior of pull to refresh control, especially in compact landscape layouts.
• Fixes OPML import
Ratings and Reviews
Best feature set for power users, but....
I've been using this app on and off for 2~3 years. Usually interchanged with Overcast. Overcast's polish has always been much better than anyone's else's but its feature set is weaker than Downcast. For a while feature set (queue for download vs queue for stream, chromecast) and better management interface has won over overcast's polish. Now however, particularly with the batter drain issue; which they claim to have fixed but clearly haven't, is making this app unusable. I can't play podcasts for too long without power connected to the phone, and if I need to be away from an outlet I better not use this app and it better not be on in the background or eat my battery alive. I'm on an iPhone 6 with a new battery, not that that was the issue in the first place because you could feel how hot the phone was getting even though it was locked and playing downcast in the background. I'm switching to overcast because I can't have this keep happening. Fix the issue downcast, or I'm staying with overcast.
Great for organization & customization. Poor sound quality.
Downcast is the best for customizing and organizing your feeds. It's always easy to know when you have new episodes waiting. Power user features like deciding which episodes to stream and which to download, starting episode later in to skip ads, and especially the ability to save an episode's audio file to the cloud make this my current choice for podcasts. It can be a little buggy at times, but my only two complaints are difficult to read screens (small text makes quick glances while driving difficult) and poor sound quality, especially at high-speed.
I just spent several months using Overcast and fell in love with its sound quality and easy to read screens. Unfortunately that app's organization is horrible. For example, you have to delete an episode in order for it to be considered "played". Because I listen to & save episodes from several Podcasts, this made it impossible to tell when a new episode was available without looking at each and every podcast episode list. This annoyance alone is what finally forced me to give up on Overcast and return to Downcast.
I wish I could have Overcast's sound quality merged with Downcast's organization & customization tools. I would gladly pay top price for that.
It’s not as great as it used to be
Amazing organizational options and fantastic customizability for each podcast download and playback settings. I absolutely love that... unfortunately the app has become almost unusable!
Constantly crashes on start-up, I can’t cast to chrome-cast like anymore because the casting will disconnect randomly and the podcast will play simultaneously on the phone and the Chrome Cast OR it will just stop and the app will crash and I will have to restart. Sometimes it takes minutes to get past the loading screen, app won’t remember episode playback status so It’ll play them again from the beginning, the application will also crash as I skip forward to another episode. When I plug in my headphones and press play it’ll take over a minute for the app to continue and when it does it immediately stops playback after a couple of seconds and I’ll have to return to the app to resume playback.
I keep waiting for updates that might fix the issues or better it, but each update is making it worse. I’ll have to look for something else in the meantime but I really hope they get the issues fixed. I do love this app otherwise
- Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
- 36.8 MB
Requires iOS 11.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010-2019 Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Encouraging Tip $2.99
- Inspiring Tip $11.99
- Galvanizing Tip $8.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.