Downcast, the popular iOS podcast app is now available for OS X! Download, play and sync** your favorite podcasts with an intuitive interface built specifically for podcasts.
• Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts
• Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
• Download podcasts automatically (including resuming downloads)
• Browse and download older podcast episodes
• Auto-update podcast feeds based on schedule
• Settings for auto-download and episode retention (globally and per-podcast)
• Import and export podcast feeds via OPML
• Import supported audio/video media files
• Support for password-protected feeds
• Create and edit "smart" playlists
• View podcast details and episode show notes
• Rename podcast subscription names
• Sync podcast subscriptions, playlists, settings and episode information with other Macs and iOS devices** via iCloud
• .5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.25x, 2.5x, 2.75x and 3x speed playback*
• Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
• Stream episodes without downloading
For support, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
* See the following Help article for an explanation of play speeds: http://support.downcastapp.com/customer/portal/articles/476114-playback-speeds
** Downcast for iOS is required for syncing to iOS devices
• Fixes a potential startup crash
Ratings and Reviews
Pretty good so far... syncing works fine!
I just downloaded this app which I've had for years on my phone. So far everything seems to be working pretty good. I don't understand all the complaints about sync'ing, it seems to work fine for me. The only glitch was that I had to fix my playlists to inlcude the appropriate podcasts but other than that I was pleasantly suprised by the ease of sync'ing. If you use the iPhone version I would recommend you give this a try if you want to move your podcast library to the computer.
Runs great, icloud synchonization works for me
I own this app on my iPhone 6 and a 2021 MacBook Pro. This is my first time using the app on my laptop and it runs fine, when I turned on icloud sync all of my podcasts from my phone were transfered to my MacBook.
Downcast is a superior podcasting app as it provides an enormous amount of user control over how the app handles (1) your podcast library, (2) individual podcast behavior, and (3) individual episode behavior. It allows play speeds in 1/4x increments from 1/2 to 3x. It allows adjustment in playback location to skip ads and bumper music at the begining and end of the episode. You can import mp3 and m4a files to create your own "podcast" collection, and autopopulating playlists allow for amazing control over how multiple episodes from different pods are delivered for driving etc.
In the past I have reached out to the developer by email and he quickly responded. Note that this dude is supporting the app as a side gig on his own so he does not do feature requests.
My only complaint is that on installing and turning on icloud, the app downloaded podcasts from pods forwhich I have disabled autorefresh. After that initial refresh it obeys the rules that I have created.
Syncing is TERRIBLE!!! Believe the reviews!
Like most of you I wanted to ignore the bad reviews. I wanted to give a few bucks to a developer who made an app I have used and enjoyed quite a bit over the past few years(iOS). The iOS version has a lot of features that the apple podcasting app still does not offer. If you're wanting to use this with your iOS device forget it and keep your money. It appears the iOS app was developed years ago by someone else, and was sold to another indivudal who tried to develop the macOS app while enjoying the cashflow and reputation of the iOS app. I haven't seen synching this bad since I had a palm treo in the early 2000's. I've never seen an app on an apple device have so much trouble synching.
The developer needs to scrap the MacOS version and rebuild it from the ground up.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
- 21.1 MB
- Requires macOS 10.15 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2012-2022 Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.