Downcast, the popular iOS podcast app is now available for OS X! Download, play and sync** your favorite podcasts with an intuitive interface built specifically for podcasts.
• Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts
• Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
• Download podcasts automatically (including resuming downloads)
• Browse and download older podcast episodes
• Auto-update podcast feeds based on schedule
• Settings for auto-download and episode retention (globally and per-podcast)
• Import and export podcast feeds via OPML
• Import supported audio/video media files
• Support for password-protected feeds
• Create and edit "smart" playlists
• View podcast details and episode show notes
• Rename podcast subscription names
• Sync podcast subscriptions, playlists, settings and episode information with other Macs and iOS devices** via iCloud
• .5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.25x, 2.5x, 2.75x and 3x speed playback*
• Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
• Stream episodes without downloading
For support, please email: email@example.com.
* See the following Help article for an explanation of play speeds: http://support.downcastapp.com/customer/portal/articles/476114-playback-speeds
** Downcast for iOS is required for syncing to iOS devices
• Fixes potential startup crash
Ratings and Reviews
Fussy, but workable.
I've been using Downcast on iOS for a while and enjoying it, so I thought I would grab the macOS version for some sync stuff, though with AirPlay it's not really necessary. The sync has... really screwed with all my podcasts and playlists in a way that I'm still untangling, which, while annoying, I can live with.
What I really want, though, are a couple more smart playlist filters. I really just want to be able to make a playlist that's every episode from a subset of feeds in the last six months, sorted old to new. I can't seem to find any podcast apps that let me do time-based filtering.
Runs great, icloud synchonization works for me
I own this app on my iPhone 6 and a 2021 MacBook Pro. This is my first time using the app on my laptop and it runs fine, when I turned on icloud sync all of my podcasts from my phone were transfered to my MacBook.
Downcast is a superior podcasting app as it provides an enormous amount of user control over how the app handles (1) your podcast library, (2) individual podcast behavior, and (3) individual episode behavior. It allows play speeds in 1/4x increments from 1/2 to 3x. It allows adjustment in playback location to skip ads and bumper music at the begining and end of the episode. You can import mp3 and m4a files to create your own "podcast" collection, and autopopulating playlists allow for amazing control over how multiple episodes from different pods are delivered for driving etc.
In the past I have reached out to the developer by email and he quickly responded. Note that this dude is supporting the app as a side gig on his own so he does not do feature requests.
My only complaint is that on installing and turning on icloud, the app downloaded podcasts from pods forwhich I have disabled autorefresh. After that initial refresh it obeys the rules that I have created.
I actually like Downcast but...
The synchronization is just brittle and I don't know why. When I first started using downcast I was looking for an alternative to the Apple Podcast app that had CarPlay. The idea that it had a desktop app and stayed in sync was awesome. I was in. Initially, the syncing didn't work. Then I decided I really wanted it to work so I went into reinstalling both apps, and turning the syncing on and off, and deleting the files from iCoud and futzing, I got it to work. It worked for a long time and I was happy. Recently, I had to log out and back into iCloud trying to restore another app was broken. Ever since I've done that syncing in Downcast has been broken again. It appears that both sides (iOS and MacOS) are trying but failing and I don't know why and its just really annoying to futz around with out meaningful control until maybe things work again. So, 1 star because a major part of the app, syncing, is simply brittle and once broken its a mystery as to what to do that will work.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
- 21.3 MB
- Requires macOS 10.15 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2012-2023 Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.