Downcast, the popular iOS podcast app is now available for OS X! Download, play and sync** your favorite podcasts with an intuitive interface built specifically for podcasts.
• Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts
• Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
• Download podcasts automatically (including resuming downloads)
• Browse and download older podcast episodes
• Auto-update podcast feeds based on schedule
• Settings for auto-download and episode retention (globally and per-podcast)
• Import and export podcast feeds via OPML
• Import supported audio/video media files
• Support for password-protected feeds
• Create and edit "smart" playlists
• View podcast details and episode show notes
• Rename podcast subscription names
• Sync podcast subscriptions, playlists, settings and episode information with other Macs and iOS devices** via iCloud
• .5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.25x, 2.5x, 2.75x and 3x speed playback*
• Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
• Stream episodes without downloading
For support, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
* See the following Help article for an explanation of play speeds: http://support.downcastapp.com/customer/portal/articles/476114-playback-speeds
** Downcast for iOS is required for syncing to iOS devices
• Performance improvement
• Improved sorting by title when title begins with a number
Ratings and Reviews
No longer functional
Stuck in a perpetual state of queued podcasts, but never actually connecting. Could switch to streaming, but prefer not have separate settings for my mac and iOS devices.
There goes $10. I guess it's in support of the iOS app now...
Used to be a great app!
Have been using this for for years to listen to podcasts on both my iPhone and when sitting at my desk, and loved it. But the desktop app is now completely broke. When I launch it, I only get one menu that when clicked on won't even drop down a menu. Completely deleted the application and reinstalled and it behaves the same. Version 2.9.41 Mojave does not work for me at all. Contacted developer over a week ago and have only gotten an automated answer. Steer clear until it's fixed
Seems to be working again, but only after tossing it out completely.
As the title suggests, this version does seem to open on my rMBP running the latest version of Yosemite. However, on initial install it did not. I had to wipe all of my plist files and do a complete uninstall (in this case with the help of AppDelete) to find all of the files. This would have been incredibly annoying had Downcast for Mac been my primary podcasting app. Thankfully, the iPad version of this app works so well that it is my primary podcasting app and this is only my “backup” for when I want to listen to something while working.
The complete uninstall meant having to reset my preferences (thank you, iCloud sync), and to start downloading episodes again. In some cases this isn’t possible for podcasts that only release material for a week (This American Life), but again, this app for Mac has been so dodgy in the past that I don’t use it as my primary reservoir for podcasts.
I’ve given the app 3 stars because I want to like it. I love it on my iPad and it kills me that the Mac version is so buggy and horrible. Thankfully, iCloud sync makes it possible for me to get back up and running relatively quickly. It remains to be seen if this App is really ready for general release, but I have my fingers crossed.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.