Downcast, the popular iOS podcast app is now available for OS X! Download, play and sync** your favorite podcasts with an intuitive interface built specifically for podcasts.
• Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts
• Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
• Download podcasts automatically (including resuming downloads)
• Browse and download older podcast episodes
• Auto-update podcast feeds based on schedule
• Settings for auto-download and episode retention (globally and per-podcast)
• Import and export podcast feeds via OPML
• Import supported audio/video media files
• Support for password-protected feeds
• Create and edit "smart" playlists
• View podcast details and episode show notes
• Rename podcast subscription names
• Sync podcast subscriptions, playlists, settings and episode information with other Macs and iOS devices** via iCloud
• .5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.25x, 2.5x, 2.75x and 3x speed playback*
• Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
• Stream episodes without downloading
For support, please email: email@example.com.
* See the following Help article for an explanation of play speeds: http://support.downcastapp.com/customer/portal/articles/476114-playback-speeds
** Downcast for iOS is required for syncing to iOS devices
• Fixes a few crashes
• Updates top podcast genres
Ratings and Reviews
No longer functional
Stuck in a perpetual state of queued podcasts, but never actually connecting. Could switch to streaming, but prefer not have separate settings for my mac and iOS devices.
There goes $10. I guess it's in support of the iOS app now...
Used to be a great app!
Have been using this for for years to listen to podcasts on both my iPhone and when sitting at my desk, and loved it. But the desktop app is now completely broke. When I launch it, I only get one menu that when clicked on won't even drop down a menu. Completely deleted the application and reinstalled and it behaves the same. Version 2.9.41 Mojave does not work for me at all. Contacted developer over a week ago and have only gotten an automated answer. Steer clear until it's fixed
Doesn’t sync media files
If your primary reason for using Downcast is it’s purported ability to sync between OS X and iOS, then you may be disappointed. Downcast will sync your podcast subscriptions and maybe some other nice things like what you’ve listened to and where you are in an episode. However, Downcast will not sync the media files themselves. This means the actually media file for an episode must be pulled down from the internet on each device. This can be a problem for podcasts like This American Life where only the current week’s episode is free. So for example, if you have a bunch of no-longer-free TAL episodes on your laptop that are not on your iPhone they will not sync to your iPhone using this software. In this example, it would be important for both the laptop and the iPhone to remain on and running Downcast in order to properly capture and download all the episodes of TAL as they go through their free week. For me this was a game changer to what I thought would be a very nice OS X application that would let me download and track and create playlists on my laptop that would then sync to my phone for listening. It only sort-of works for this in my case.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.