Downtown South Bend provides an interactive tour of one of South Bend’s most important regions. This app grew from the desire to combine historic documentation, photographs, and new digital technologies into an easy to use and educational tour of one of the main arteries of Downtown South Bend. The area encompasses many of the important civic contributions of two of South Bend’s most influential families: the Olivers and the Studebakers. This app allows users to place this documentation in full geographic context through the use of an embedded map, immersive panoramas, and geolocated structures.
• Interactive map of Downtown South Bend
• Historic Photographs documenting South Bend’s architecture
• Browsable list of noteworthy historic buildings
• “Then and Now” image overlays of each structure
• Written descriptions of each building with recorded audio
• 3D recreations of lost buildings
• Interactive Panoramas showing South Bend as it once was
Downtown South Bend was created by Historic Urban Environments/Notre Dame (HUE/ND), in collaboration with the Historic Preservation Commission of South Bend and St. Joseph County, and The History Museum South Bend. This mobile application is part of a larger project called Building South Bend, Past, Present, Future (www.buildingsouthbend.nd.edu) intended to document the historical architecture, historic districts, and evolution of the city of South Bend.
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
Minor updates of content.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.