For more detail, links to docs, and change history, visit: https://getdrafts.com/changelog
## Related Updates
Along with this update, we will also be launching new User Guide and Scripting Reference websites, please visit these sites for more information and to get involved in the Drafts community:
## Interface and Functional Improvements
- **Rewritten main user interface and gesture interface**
- Improvements to responsiveness of gestures.
- Pinning both drafts and actions on larger screens, easier access to pinning, remembering pin states.
- Lots of little improvements to icons, the keyboard switcher, and other user interface elements.
- **Support for multiple windows** _(iPadOS 13 only)_.
- Dragging draft from the draft list to a new window.
- Edit actions in separate window.
- Live Markdown previews in a separate window.
- **Automatic dark and light mode switching** _(iOS 13 only)_
- **Contextual menus where appropriate** _(iOS 13 only)_
- **New Quick Capture action extension**. Similar to the existing share extension, but requires no user interaction - just captures the shared content and returns.
- **Live Markdown Previews** _(iPadOS 13 only)_. A live preview can be opened in a separate window to allow a draft to be edited and preview viewed simultaneously.
- **Support for new iOS 13 font selection panels**
- **Dictation interface now has an optional silence timeout**. Useful for those who trigger dictation hands-free.
- Refreshing of icons and a variety of minor improvements throughout the app.
- **Extensive support for new features of Shortcuts on iOS/iPadOS 13**. A full set of shortcuts, with parameter support, allow you to create, update, append and prepend to drafts, query drafts, run actions, and more. Use of advanced Shortcuts automation requires a pro subscription.
## Workspaces & Draft List
- **Default Workspace**. This is a special workspace that stores the preferred default settings for the draft list, and is applied when filters are cleared.
- **"Show Date" display option for drafts list and workspaces**. Hide/show the date in the list.
## Other Changes and Updates
- **Fix:** Update Todoist integrations to use new API endpoints.
- **New:** Keyboard shortcut support in the Share extension (cmd-return to save, cmd-T for tag entry, etc.)
- **Change:** If a selection is present in the editor, the character/word counts now include a selection count as well.
- **Change:** All default HTML preview templates have been updated with CSS-based support for dark mode. Update them by editing the action and using the "reset" button to update the template - or reinstall the latest versions from the action directory.
- **New:** `Event` script object now support `url` property.
- **Change:** Long press on link in link mode will now fall through to options menu (with Preview on iOS 13).
- **Change:** Regular expression find will now treat escaped whitespace characters (e.g. \n, \t) in replacement text as those characters, rather than expecting the whitespace itself. More consistent with how regex replacements are done in other editors.
- **Fix:** Improvements to Markdown syntax definitions.
- **Fix:** Navigating drafts list with keyboard shortcuts should scroll the list if necessary.
- **Fix:** `editor.load()` method should touch the accessed date of the draft.
- **Change:** Allow "new draft after" timeout to be set to "Never" to allow it to be disabled separately from focus mode.
- **New:** Select > Operations > Export now supports text file option, which merges draft contents into one text file.
- **Fix:** Issue where API calls in actions could fail improperly if the OAuth token expired and needed to be refreshed.
- **Change:** Require iOS 12.
Ratings and Reviews
Next Level GTD
Ok first of all I never write reviews, but using this app on a trial run today absolutely blew my mind and I’m not even touching a fraction of the full capability! To be honest when I first downloaded it I was thinking there’s no way I’m going to pay for a subscription. I mean what the heck can this thing do that my other note taking apps can’t do. Let me say this immediately changed after messing around with this for a bit. The Watch OS takes this app and getting things out of your head to a whole different level. I mean record anything out of your head and then share it with Omnifocus, Awesome Note or whatever else you may want to do with it! Also one tap and it starts the dictation so from thought to app is seem less. I went from thinking this app was absolutely useless and literally about to delete, but now I can say it will be an app to stay! When my trial subscription ends I will gladly pay the $20/year. I will make this over 100 fold with the time I save and the ideas I’m able to preserve and act on! Thank you!!
Love the app, not the subscriptions.
I’ve been using drafts since version 4 came out. It changed the way I work, and I love using it to enter and manipulate text. I’ve been playing around with Drafts 5 and the app is amazing. There’s so much power in the free app, and the pro subscriptions adds some great options for power users. Thing is, I’m not a power user, but I’m more than willing to pay for the features I use. My biggest issue is that I dislike and avoid app subscriptions. I like that when I pay for an app, even if the company disappears tomorrow, I can continue to use the app for years to come. I’m also not thrilled that dark mode is behind the subscription wall, I’d pay a few dollars to have a dark mode, I find it much easier on my eyes, but can’t justify the subscription just for dark mode, since it’s the only tool I would use from the subscription. Fortunately, I can continue using drafts 4 with its dark mode. Sure, I’ll miss out on all the new features in the free app, but that’s how much I dislike day mode. Just writing this review is burning my eyes. But my issues say nothing about the app itself which is wonderful. Definitely give the free mode a spin, and if you like scripting and having full control and aren’t opposed to renting apps, the sub is a great value. But for me it’s less than ideal as it’s currently set up. Hopefully down the line, the developer will consider making dark mode an optional in app purchase for those that don’t or can’t subscribe.
Power tool for power users
I imagine that if you only write a few notes here and there then this app is not your thing. You won't "get it" and you don't need it. If all you need is an occasional note use Notepad. If what you need is formatting for publishing a dissertation you will probably prefer Word.
Templates are a strong suit of this app. But I am not a user so look for others to comment.
- Agile Tortoise
- 78.9 MB
Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2012-2019 by Agile Tortoise, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Pro Subscription $1.99
- Annual Pro Subscription $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.