Drafts, where text starts. Quickly capture text and send it almost anywhere!
## Now Available for Mac! ##
App of the Day, TIME Magazine's Best Apps!
MacStories "Best App Updates" selection!
Drafts lets you turn text into action – it’s a quick notebook, handy editor, and writing automation tool, all in one. Instead of tapping around other apps, capture in Drafts first. Open it and write right away, then do something useful with your words.
## HOW DRAFTS WORKS ##
Drafts opens to a new page with the keyboard ready so you can type immediately. Go hands-free with Dictation, or ask Siri to "Create a note using Drafts".
Drafts lets you get things down before you forget – no choosing document templates or waiting for your file to download.
USE YOUR WORDS:
Drafts is a launching-off point for text – use the actions to copy it, share it, or deep link into other apps and services. Compose a tweet or message, create a file in Dropbox, send a task off to Reminders – there are hooks into tons of your favorite apps.
REMEMBER IT NOW – OR LATER:
New entries go into the Inbox. Once there, you can Tag them for organization, Flag them for importance, or Archive them for long-term storage.
TAKE TEXT TO A NEW LEVEL:
Set up a text editing experience that’s perfect for you, with tons of interface adjustments like custom fonts and control over spacing, line height, and margins.
Use the customizable extended row above the keyboard to quickly convert, manipulate, and transform your writing. Make lists, use Markdown to get things just right.
Process your drafts quickly using unique features like Link Mode, Arrange Mode, and Focus Mode.
## WHY YOU’LL LOVE DRAFTS ##
IT WILL CHANGE HOW YOU USE YOUR DEVICES:
Drafts gives you a new approach to using your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch, letting you write first and think about what to do with it later. Try it in your dock for a week, you'll find you can't live without it.
GETTING WORDS DOWN HAS NEVER BEEN EASIER:
Drafts opens lightning fast and with support for capture via Siri, the widget, share extension, file import, and dictation - Drafts is like post-its updated for the smartphone era.
Actions make Drafts a Swiss Army knife for text. Integrate with a bewildering array of apps and services.
## JOIN THE COMMUNITY ##
Check out our Action Directory (actions.getdrafts.com) for ready-to-use actions for third party apps and services. Join the Drafts Community (forums.getdrafts.com) to get help, integration guides and a regular flow of tips & tricks.
## DRAFTS PRO ##
Get more out of Drafts with a Drafts Pro subscription:
• Create and Edit Actions
• Themes and Icons - suit the experience to your tastes with Dark theme, custom app icon, and more
• Workspaces - Apply preferred tag, query, and sort settings for your drafts list with Workspaces
• Extra widgets and better share extension options
• Enhanced Automation
We are always working hard to expand the capabilities of Drafts and up-to-date with the latest technologies. Your support helps keep the app growing – thank you to Drafts Pro subscribers!
Contact us on Twitter at @draftsapp or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
UPGRADING FROM DRAFTS 4?
Drafts installs as a new app and will not affect your existing Drafts 4 installation. Check out getdrafts.com/upgrade for details on migrating.
## SUBSCRIPTION DETAILS ##
• Monthly and annual subscriptions are available
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase
• Your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is disabled at least 24 hours before the end of the current subscription period
• Automatic renewals will be charged at the same price you were originally charged for the subscription
• Subscriptions can be managed or cancelled by going to Account Settings on the App Store after purchase
Ready for the new OS, and with some great new features! Highlights below. For complete changelog with documentation links, visit: https://docs.getdrafts.com/docs/misc/changelog-ios
## Draft Widget
"Draft" widget type to display the content of a specific draft. This is in addition to Grid and List widget types released in the previous update. After adding the widget, edit options to select draft and display options. Tapping the widget opens the selected draft. Useful for keeping a scratchpad draft, or similar.
## Advanced Search Queries
Drafts searches support powerful new query options. These options apply to anywhere drafts are searched, including the draft list, workspaces quick search, and scripted queries:
- Not new, but searches can use quotation marks to find "exact phrases", and prefix a term with a hyphen to omit it, like `-blue`.
- Support for `title:` and `tag:` prefixes to force a query to only look for a term in draft titles or tags. May be combined with exact phrase searching, so `title:"My Draft"` will look for only drafts with the string "My Draft" in the first line.
- `AND` and `OR` operator support. `AND` is not needed, as it is assumed as the operator at any space between terms. Examples:
- `blue OR green` would find any drafts with either "blue" or "green" in the text.
- `blue red OR green` would find drafts with both "blue" and "red" or only "green".
- Regular expression terms. Marked by wrapping a term in forward slashes (`/term/`). Examples (not necessarily useful ones):
- `/.*ABC.*/` would find any drafts with "ABC" in the text.
- `/\d+/` would find any drafts that *start* with a number.
- `/.*\[\[.*\]\].*/` would find drafts with `[[wiki-style]]` links
## Other Updates
- Small but useful change: When searching the action list, groups appear as separators. It is now possible to tap on those group separators to load the group in the list.
- List widget now has "All" as a folder selection option.
- List widget supports small widget size, displaying only the one top draft in the workspace.
- "Duplicate" swipe action in Workspace manager.
- "Open App" command option for widgets which just opens Drafts like tapping the app icon (not the "Empty" option already does this, too, but that's not clear)
- `[[display_title]]` and `[[body_preview]]` template tags. These match the trimmed display versions of the title and body displayed in the draft list.
- If `/open` URL with title parameter finds more than one matching draft, the resulting search now opens with `title:"value"` search to limit results to only matching titles.
- "Save Current" option in workspaces menu to create a new workspace based on current list options.
- `draft.bodyPreview(maxLength: Int)` function. Returns trimmed body preview similar to what is used in the draft list, removing first line and trimming whitespace and truncating to the requested length.
- Disable smart quotes-dashes in find window.
- Add way to enable link mode from action bar selection view.
- Import from backup might not maintain correct modification dates.
- Restore "Miscellaneous" category of action icons, which was missing for some reason.
- Widget intent configuration options should not appear in the Shortcuts app.
- Continuing search from Spotlight should go to quick search when available.
- Issue with automatic changes between dark-light mode not updating editor text properly.
- XML-RPC requests might improperly entify parameter strings.
- Workspaces using date filters would display incorrect counts in a Widget.
- `app.showDraftList()` called with a pinned draft list on iPad could result in greyed out editor.
Complete release notes: https://docs.getdrafts.com/docs/misc/changelog-ios
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This app makes the iPad a useful work tool
This app helps one get a lot done on the iPad (or iPhone) that wouldn't be possible otherwise---even the free version. Paying a subscription has been worth it too. You just have to try it to see how it might be useful to you personally and if that justifies the price.
I do less with the tag and workspace features than I perhaps could because I tend to use Bear for reference. Fortunately, there are users who know how to script and have come up with actions to make Drafts play well with Bear. Ditto other apps, including email. In the end, Drafts is kind of like a work environment in which one can begin all work with text. It's also good for cleaning up text from other sources.
I have loved this app through several versions. One reason, I suspect, is because it continues to test the boundaries of what is possible in iOS. And one can actually customize one's work environment a bit. In other words, the app takes both the operating system and the user seriously. The subscription model has also led to a viable business plan, it seems, whereas I've seen other solid apps go neglected or get killed off for lack of ongoing funding and attention in a constantly changing computing environment and app market.
Love the app, not the subscriptions.
I’ve been using drafts since version 4 came out. It changed the way I work, and I love using it to enter and manipulate text. I’ve been playing around with Drafts 5 and the app is amazing. There’s so much power in the free app, and the pro subscriptions adds some great options for power users. Thing is, I’m not a power user, but I’m more than willing to pay for the features I use. My biggest issue is that I dislike and avoid app subscriptions. I like that when I pay for an app, even if the company disappears tomorrow, I can continue to use the app for years to come. I’m also not thrilled that dark mode is behind the subscription wall, I’d pay a few dollars to have a dark mode, I find it much easier on my eyes, but can’t justify the subscription just for dark mode, since it’s the only tool I would use from the subscription. Fortunately, I can continue using drafts 4 with its dark mode. Sure, I’ll miss out on all the new features in the free app, but that’s how much I dislike day mode. Just writing this review is burning my eyes. But my issues say nothing about the app itself which is wonderful. Definitely give the free mode a spin, and if you like scripting and having full control and aren’t opposed to renting apps, the sub is a great value. But for me it’s less than ideal as it’s currently set up. Hopefully down the line, the developer will consider making dark mode an optional in app purchase for those that don’t or can’t subscribe.
Wow, just wow!
I never thought I needed an app like this, then I hear them talk about it all the time on Mac Power Users and Automators podcast so I thought I would give it a try. It seems overwhelming at first with all of the options but once you configure a few actions you’ll never go back. There is enough free to the app that you could use it without the IAP - I wouldn’t recommend it though, the customizable nature of the app is unlocked when you subscribe. Also, this dude is an indie dev so there isn’t multi unicorn level of funding keeping this product alive - you’re literally making this viable for him, so hit subscribe - you’ll thank me later.
Also, the quick dictate function on the watch is a GAME CHANGER. Tap the complication, tap the microphone and record your thought. Then when you have time to process, open the app on your iPhone/Mac and manipulate the text with the actions. It literally lets you dump what you’re thinking into an app with the least amount of friction. The best part is the text isn’t stuck in this app, which is the whole point. Give it a go!
- Agile Tortoise
- 64 MB
Requires iOS 12.4 and watchOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2012-2020 by Agile Tortoise, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Pro Subscription $1.99
- Annual Pro Subscription $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.