Drambo is an innovative modular groovebox and audio processing environment. Modular components are used to build synthesized and sample based instruments or audio effects using high-quality DSP and audio-rate modulation. Tied to a powerful sequencer, it’s an optimal music creation tool for sound design, composition, performance and experimentation.
At the heart of Drambo lies an entirely new concept that makes modular creations easy, fun and affordable. Modules are connected automatically, with no cables as you add or rearrange them. A dynamic interface creates modulation knobs when you need them. Modules may house other modules, so you can keep your patch well organized. Of course, automatic connections can be overridden. In Drambo you can focus on playing with sound and signal structure without getting lost in wires.
Use a deep and innovative sequencer to compose patterns and whole tracks, for production or live performance. Go beyond simple looping sequences with parameter locking, conditional step components, and powerful scene morphing. Drambo works equally well as a self-contained standalone app or audio unit plugin with audio and MIDI connectivity as an AUV3 instrument, audio effect and MIDI effect. No modular experience necessary to get started playing with preset sounds and effects.
You can use Drambo as
• A complete music production and performance environment
• Endless modular playground, that allows you to build, modify and store custom instruments and effects. For instance: build a custom synth, sample and resample, build a Theremin using a gyroscope module, or turn your table into a playable surface, by processing microphone input with physical modelling modules. Get weird or make functional instruments and tools.
• MIDI sequencer, that works with hardware and AUv3 instruments (e.g. Drambo sequences other instruments in an AU host app). Moreover Drambo can generate custom MIDI CC messages or modulation signals to control modular synths via DC coupled interfaces.
• AUv3 synthesizer, effect or sequencer in other DAWs. Drambo can replace a lot of audio plugins. For instance: you may use it as a chorus, phaser, reverb, filter, equalizer, complex modular delay, decimator, frequency shifter, MIDI effect or complex modulator for other synths. You may combine, modulate and sequence them in no time.
• Polyphonic, stereo processing and audio-rate modulation. All signals are equal. Up to 8 voices per modular instrument rack.
• Unique modular concept: cable-less, drag'n'drop, color coding dynamic interface, automatic connections, and customizable compact, rack views.
• Directional flow makes Drambo routing and patching straightforward. Signal flows only left to right, so there are no instant feedback routings in Drambo. Delayed feedback is possible using certain modules.
• Simple and clean interface, that scales to every size and device orientation
• Custom modular racks that can be nested, with presets at the track, rack, and module level.
• Multiple modulators per parameter without additional mixer modules.
• 16-track, polyphonic step sequencer with parameter locks and step components.
• Audio Units hosting ( standalone app only )
• Over 120 modules available, such as: oscillators, samplers, physical modelling modules, LFOs, envelope generators, filters, audio effects, mixers, MIDI processors, sequencers and math functions.
• Morph groups: you can morph many parameters using a single slider.
• Available as a standalone app, AUv3 instrument, effect and MIDI effect.
• MIDI, MPE and Ableton Link support
Drambo is an open-ended app. This is just the beginning. Many modules and exciting updates are planned.
With Drambo, you are in charge. Create the music from your vision to reality.
"Drambo changes the face of iOS music apps." Cult of Mac
Visit https://patchstorage.com/platform/drambo/ for community content.
- Support for multi-channel audio interfaces
- Analog Filter module with 6 types of nonlinear filters (4x oversampled, high quality processing)
- External CV instrument module to control external modular synthesizers via DC-coupled audio interfaces
- Audio out module
- Tap tempo
- MIDI to CV module: added voice allocation type setting
Bug fixes and stability improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Great tool but why add’l purchases...
Drambo is absolutely amazing. It is hands-down the most complete, functional, feature-packed app I’ve ever used. The possibilities are seemingly infinite!
I do find it a little ridiculous that, after spending $20, you then have to pay even more to unlock additional features. 20yrs ago, this would have cost thousands & its size would have taken up half a room. To have something like this now that costs just $20 & fits in the palm of my hand is absolutely incredible. But, when we live in a time in which there are so many apps & so many free options, despite a majority of those apps paling in comparison, people still would mostly settle for free. $20 for an app is almost unheard of, no matter how much value it may produce. When that’s the reality & someone pays $20 for an app, that’s an incredible compliment to the developer. It’s validation. To then tack on additional purchases in the app just seems wrong IMO not saying the devs time isn’t worth anything, but the move reeks of greed.
Amazing, One glitch found so far, a few suggestions
I really love this app, it can be as simple or complex as you make it. I love sequencing and I also love to have as much control over my sound as possible, this app really nails both. The use of the QWERTY keyboard as a piano roll and midi mappings is by far my favorite feature. I have found a glitch within the Audio Units feature when using the keyboard. When an audio unit plugin window is open, the keyboard stops functioning. This resolves itself once the window has closed, but I would appreciate the ability to tweak parameters while playing the keys on my keyboard. Also, the ability to search the modules is needed. If I forget where a certain module is, its a pain to hunt it down. iPadOS 15 adds a multi-window shortcut to the top of the display (3 little dots), and this gets in the way of the controls at the top of the screen. Theres not way to turn this off so there will need to be a fix made within Drambo. I tried to contact the developer through their website but got a 404 error. I trust that this will be addressed, every other aspect of the program is remarkable!
Already My Favorite App
All right, so maybe some people are going to think it’s too early to throw around the f-word. But honestly, I think this app is on par with Ableton in terms of being the sort of software I’d actually want to use live. It can legit hold its own next to hardware synths.
And that sequencer. It’s a real blast. I mean, it’s even fun to use it on iPhone... iPhone! It does something that I’ve wanted for a while but never really expected to get: a reliable composition/performance tool that I can carry with me everywhere but still use in the finished song. I can actually sketch out a song on break or something and then go home and continue to work on that idea. And I won’t just abandon the original patch because I have better options on my desk or computer.
So yeah. This app is no joke. This is kinda the most fun I’ve had making music on my phone. And of course the iPad version is no slouch.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Jaroslaw Jacek
- 122.6 MB
- Requires iOS 11.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 BeepStreet
- In-App Purchases
- Waves extension $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.