Play cards! Kill monsters! Level Up!
Dream Quest is a roguelike deckbuilding game inspired by the likes of Ascension, Magic: the Gathering, and Shandalar. Explore randomly generated levels as one of 13 classes in short, 30 minute, sessions. One floor might find your wizard in the crypt, another your warrior underwater, and a third, your assassin stalking a volcanic wasteland. As you progress, your characters earn achievements, each making your future runs a little easier or more interesting.
Combat is a card game. Your abilities are a deck of cards that you develop as you gain power. For example, a thief starts with a handful of Slice cards and a Backstab, but can learn defensive moves like Dodge or powerful finishing moves like Coup de Grace. Carefully choosing which cards to add to your deck is the heart of the game: wise choices will find you slicing through monsters while poor ones will leave you tripping over your own two feet.
•14 different classes, with wildly different play styles
•Over 300 cards, ranging from the defensive Kick and Armor to the devastating Meteor and Curse of Doom
•More than 70 monsters carefully catalogued in the Bestiary as you encounter them
•Infinite replayability – easily 50 hours to see the majority of the content
•No In App Purchases – the price of the game is the price of the game. Everything is unlocked only by playing.
Reviews of Version 1.0 have been fantastic! Examples include:
"Don't be fooled by its simplistic stick-figure art – Dream Quest brings together roguelike dungeon-crawling and deckbuilding to create a truly unique challenge"
"This game is really one of a kind. The mix between rogue-like and cards is really well done...Kudos to the dev for such an innovative and challenging game"
"If you can get past the simplistic graphics, you're looking at a very interesting, strategic game. I've already lost a few hours to it - the kind of hours where you wonder where the time went. Outstanding game!"
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
Update for iOS 11.
Minor bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Playing for years and I cannot stop
I laugh every time I see the graphics, but I have been playing this game for years with no updates and no problems. It is a really nicely balanced game at times with some extreme challenges. I simply create a new profile and start from scratch whenever I get bored and want a real challenge again. I have never written a review, but considering how much joy I get out of this game and with no nagging screens or pay to play, I feel it’s worth the effort to share with others. Look past the graphics and it’s so good. note: I do find the game is a bit better balanced (or perhaps just easier/more fun) by allowing quits (just force close the app if things are dire or when you want an alternate chance at find treasure or hoard gold) and continuing. It’s not the way the game was intended, but it’s occasionally fun to build a killer prof, dragon, or thief deck with the best possible cards or to fulfill a dream theme deck idea or something.
The best roguelike on the App Store!
Slay the Spire was TOTALLY informed by Dream Quest. Like another reviewer said, I too have passed by this game dozens of times while searching for a new rpg/roguelike fix. I finally took a chance after playing dozens of others and bought it. Holy crap, this is hands down the best rpg/card/roguelike game on the App Store, and it’s far better than any of the others! I am a person that loses interest very quickly in games, especially mobile games, but this one has the staying power of the old final fantasies and legend of Zeldas, it’s that good!
The only thing I wish the developer would update is to make the game use the full screen space of the iPhone X. As it stands, it uses a very small portion of the screen, so it’s a bit hard to see. That is the only complaint I can level against this masterpiece. Buy it, right now. Do it. DO IT.
What a great game
This game is amazing. It’s got practically everything you can ask for. Long Term Progression, Card Collection, Rogue-like, Achievements, Exploration, Classes, and easy to understand game mechanics. The game itself doesn’t have beautiful card art but honestly it makes me enjoy the game a little more only because it feels like something I’d make. I have a few suggestions to make this game 5 stars.
1. Add more classes and more cards.
2. When picking Random for character select allow us to actually see which character it is before choosing our first floor bonus.
3. After playing for awhile I realized how difficult it is for me to truly enjoy my deck building. Add more levels and maybe have Missionaries Heal for some Gold as well.
4. Changing Teleport while on Cooldown to Rewind. If pressed again you can move back to where you originally pressed Teleport. Prevents from getting stuck behind a monster that’s literally impossible to beat.
5. Have an oasis on each floor maybe 75% of the time.
6. When the character levels up it should give them the option to take neither level up option. I would also enjoy a free card upgrade for every 3 levels.
7. It would be cool to have the option to upgrade spells.
8. Didn’t realize but Level 10 is the cap. This really hurts if you are taking the Ding Talent, maybe allow for any experience gained from monsters at the end of the fight gets turned into Health or Gold instead.
The developer, Peter M Whalen, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Peter M Whalen
- 162.1 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2014 Peter Whalen
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.