This app provides a way for people to share appropriate and legal sites they have found for flying, wherever they are in the world. Be it a large, unobstructed open area; easily accessible public right of way for taking off from; beautiful scenery in open airspace for taking stills and video of; or all of the above!
The principle of the app is very simple and yet extremely powerful with the ability to inspire others to visit new places and share their experiences with the community.
It provides a simple and convenient way to discover places and leave reviews. Helping you to rate places by the following important categories:
- Scenic Value
- Suitability for training/practice
- Ease of Access
- How quiet
This application was developed by a community as part of a research project at Newcastle University.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Added iPhone X support and improved registration workflows.
Ratings and Reviews
Useless at the moment.
2 stars for the initiative, but at the moment it seems useless for me. I can only search for places to fly (using the discover feature) where my current location is! It would be nice to be able to see places where I want to go instead, but typing the place/city on the search bar doesn't allow that, it simply is a shortcut to create a point. Also a list of all the places registered would be nice. I will be adding my places and contributing, and hopefully this gets fixed and the app becomes useful. The idea is great and has all my support.
Good in Idea - Needs enhancements
Interesting - I’ve got two apps on my iPhone to try and help with these type of functions.
Hover, Drone Buddy and Drone Zones
Drone Buddy does a better job of showing no-fly zones.
Drone Zones ATTEMPTS to allow you to identify and score places to fly the quad.
Both have major weaknesses (I”m out in Las Vegas and just looking for good safe interesting places to fly)..
Few key weaknesses with Drone Zones:
1) Really wish there was an easier way to see “distance” between one place and another.
2) Need a way to get an actual address to come up
3) Need a way to push the address to a map tool (google maps / wake / etc.) so I can find out how far and directions to that location.
Bottom line, my process should be.
1) Pull up map
2) Search for locations close to where I am
3) View ratings (I like what Drone Zones does with allowing you to score based upon landing areas, view, etc.)
4) Ensure that the locations are outside of No Fly Zones
5) Pull up other Flight related data
6) Determine distance between where I am and the location both as crow flies and by driving
Where are the admin?
This app was born with a good intention. But while the owners does not curate the content/ posts it will be crap. There Is a lot of silly people posting useless places, without any valid info. Or the owner take some serious attitude or this app is not to be taken seriously.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- University of Newcastle upon Tyne
- 3.9 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Arabic, Russian
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Open Lab, Newcastle University
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.