Would you like to improve your Chinese reading and listening ability?
Du Chinese is an assisted studying tool that helps you progress faster. It works because of the built in features that let you focus on learning.
You will find Mandarin lessons of difficulties ranging from newbie to master, and new lessons are added frequently. The lessons cover topics like everyday life in China, business, and the latest trends in China.
* Human voice recordings synchronized with the texts
* Context-dependent word translations
* Sentence translations
* Save and review words using an intuitive flashcard system
Du Chinese offers premium content for subscribing users. The following subscription plans are offered:
* One month subscription for $11.99 USD (automatically renewed until canceled).
* Six month subscription $54.99 USD (automatically renewed until canceled).
* Twelve month subscription $89.99 USD (automatically renewed until canceled).
- Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
- Your subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
- Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
- Your subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period
This update makes it easier to find interesting lessons. You can now filter everything by level, hide lessons that you've studied, and browse by categories.
- Delete word directly from the “Word details” screen
- Increased maximum font size
Ratings and Reviews
Nice combo of simplicity and features plus responsiveness
This app provides the basics in the best way. Many levels from beginner to “master;” choice of simplified or traditional characters; show or hide pinyin and translation at the tap of a button, and you can choose to show neither, either, or both. The recorded speech is natural sounding and you can adjust the speed (my only quibble: I sometime have a little initial trouble setting the desired speed, but maybe that’s because I have only used the app for a week).
But what really impressed me and led me to subscribe was that I sent in a question about a translation and got a response within a few hours from the proofreader himself! Now that’s some proactive service. After our exchange he made a helpful tweak to the translation. So I have a lot confidence in both the integrity and responsiveness of this service.
I guess I should mention what they don’t offer (as far as I know). I don’t think there is any provision for pronunciation feedback or for learning to write characters. I am considering Hello Chinese for that. But I am highly satisfied with what Du Chinese gives me for the price. Highly recommended.
Fun and Effective Chinese learning resource
Upon recommendation of Yoyo Chinese online course I downloaded this app. Having interesting articles at appropriate levels for reading and listening practice brings my Chinese learning to life. The cultural notes incorporated in the articles give my learning depth.
Users may display content as written characters only or add pinyin, and may play an audio recording of the article at different speeds. The English translation sometimes feels like more of a paraphrase and so allows for critical thinking.
It is great fun to work my way through the various articles at the various levels.
Update: after an extended hiatus due to other obligations, I’ve been using Du Chinese with some regularity for about 10 weeks. I’ve already moved up a reading level! The stories also teach me about Chinese culture and history.
$90 for a year is a great value, though it’s a large chunk of change for me. I’m looking forward to working it into my budget.
Great for intermediate and above
I've been looking for ways to practice my Chinese more naturally than just vocabulary memorization and writing practice. I'm at a level where I don't need direct instruction but more access to the language in use. I LOVE what this app offers, even without a subscription, I'm able to practice listening/reading at a decently high level; get vocabulary building beyond basics I already know; save words for quizzing; and control how much help I get with a lesson (just characters, characters and pinyin, or those plus word/grammar markers) and you can control the speakers speed. I also enjoy the range of topics offered for the different lessons...and 👌on the name - everyone loves some good puns.
- Sinamon AB
- 13.4 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Sinamon AB
- In-App Purchases
- Du Chinese Premium $11.99
- Du Chinese Premium $89.99
- Du Chinese Premium $54.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.