DVM Calc is the most comprehensive small animal veterinary calculator available for veterinarians, veterinary medical students, and veterinary technicians. Developed by a group of veterinary specialists and emergency veterinarians, this application contains 26 practical calculators, 15 specific constant rate infusion calculators, and 10 toxicity calculators. Each individual calculator includes an information sheet to explain the calculations. A useful “Notes” page is also included, which allows the user to enter, save and edit notes on multiple patients (up to 300 words/patient). A specific section is included for patient name, signalment and admit date. A basic numerical calculator is also included within the application to allow the user to carry out additional calculations, when necessary, without closing the application to open a separate calculator.
DVM Calc includes:
• A-a Gradient
• Anesthetic Preparation
• Anion Gap
• Bicarbonate Deficit
• Blood Transfusion Dose
• Body Surface Area
• Corrected Sodium
• Dehydration Deficit
• Drip Rate Calculator
• Enteral Feeding Calculator
• Fractional Excretion of Sodium
• Free Water Deficit
• Gestation “Wheel”
• Maintenance Fluid Rate
• Metabolic Weight
• Osmolality, Effective Osmolality and Osmolar Gap
• Percent Solution Conversion/Calculator
• Plasma Transfusion Dose/Albumin Deficit
• Potassium Supplementation Calculator
• Shock Fluid Doses – Isotonic, Synthetic Colloids, and Hypertonic Saline
• Surgical Blood Loss Calculator
• Temperature Conversion
• Weight Conversions – kg/g/lb/oz
Constant Rate Infusions – Full concentration or diluted within IV fluids
Specific CRI Drugs (pre-set dosage recommendations) include:
• Fentanyl – dilute
• Fentanyl – full concentration
• Morphine/Lidocaine/Ketamine (MLK)
• Emergency Drug Calculator (CPR) – dog or cat specific and includes:
Epinephrine (high and low dose)
Defibrillation (internal and external)
Crystalloid Fluid Rates – shock dose and maintenance
Hetastarch Rates – shock dose and maintenance
Toxicity Calculators – include:
• Ethylene Glycol
• Notes – Notes may be entered, saved and edited for each specific patient. Each individual patient note may have up to 300 words.
• Basic Numerical Calculator – The basic numerical calculator will perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Exponents, square roots and other higher math calculations are not supported.
This application is intended for clinical use by veterinarians, veterinary students, and veterinary technicians. The included calculations are to be used as a resource with the understanding that the user’s medical knowledge and clinical judgment may supersede the output information. Like any tool, it is never a substitute for clinical judgment. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of DVM Calc’s content, but all results must be confirmed before use. By purchasing this application the user releases the designers/developers/sellers from liability.
Designer: John C. Chandler, DVM, MS, DACVS
Programmer: Cody Brown Trumpetfish Productions
Support for iOS 11. Several typo corrections and updates.
Ratings and Reviews
Good app, but would like a couple of improvements. Presently calculators are not consistent in weight unit entries from one tool to the next. Also there is no "reset" feature in the calculators. Need to make available a choice between kilograms or pounds on each tool or at least keep the units consistent from one tool to the next, and need to add a "reset" button to each calculator. In spite of these drawbacks I will use this app a lot in the ER.
Need update for iOS 11.
Have always liked this app, but recently when I attempted to use it for a blood transfusion, which is the most common aspect of why I use it, it wouldn’t open, stating, “The maker of the app needs to update it to make it compatible with the recent iOS 11.” So, until there is an update, I literally am unable to use an app I actually paid for. 😢
So far so good
Heard nothing but great things about this app and finally took the plunge! Just browsing through I know this will be a great resource. Stay tuned...
- P C WestVet
- 3.9 MB
Requires iOS 9.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Unrestricted Web Access
- Frequent/Intense Medical/Treatment Information
- © John Chandler, DVM, MS, DACVS, 2011
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.