Excellent visual tool to aid professionals in educating patients and families about swallowing disorders. This app features state-of-the-art animations derived from MBSImP™ research on swallowing physiology and impairment. The custom-designed video animations accurately depict normal swallow physiology and provide clear examples of varying physiologic impairments of the swallow. Video controls allow for zoom, slow motion, pause, and frame-by-frame scroll. Includes an overview of normal swallow function, and links to other educational resources.
Animations are of adult physiology and include:
• Normal Swallow, Lateral View
• Normal Swallow, A/P View
• Example of Penetration with Aspiration
• Impairment of Anterior Hyoid Excursion
• Impairment of Bolus Hold
• Impairment of Bolus Transport
• Impairment of Epiglottic Movement
• Impairment of Esophageal Clearance
• Impairment of Initiation of Pharyngeal Swallow
• Impairment of Laryngeal Elevation
• Impairment of Laryngeal Vestibular Closure
• Impairment of Lip Closure
• Impairment of Mastication
• Impairment of PES Opening
• Impairment of Pharyngeal Contraction
• Impairment of Pharyngeal Stripping Wave
• Impairment of Soft Palate Elevation
• Impairment of Tongue Base Retraction
• Animations depict adult physiology, including normal swallow.
• The animations included in this app accurately represent the anatomy and physiology of normal and impaired swallowing function. They were developed in conjunction with the evidence-based "Modified Barium Swallow Impairment Profile," or MBSImP.
• Rarely does one physiologic swallow impairment exist alone. This app highlights primary impairments, but co-existing impairments typically occur and the examples shown here are no exception.
• Available for iPhone and iPad.
- Updated for iOS 13
- Implemented support for Dark Mode
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great app! Suggestion
This app is great for educating patients and caregivers, thank you, I think it would be helpful to have a screen that labels the anatomy. I can point things out, but having it all on one page would be helpful. Thanks!
I’ve been using this app for years and still enjoy it. It provides so much info to my patients and their families on what I look for and how the swallow works. It provides great photos and a slow motion ability to help them understand all the structures involved in a safe swallow.
I use this app at least weekly in my practice, I so appreciate the clarity of the visuals and love that you can single out specific areas of impairment. Helpful for patients and colleagues alike.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Northern Speech Services, Inc
- 303 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2012-2020 Northern Speech Services, Inc
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.