Excellent visual tool to aid professionals in educating patients and families about swallowing disorders. This app features state-of-the-art animations derived from MBSImP™ research on swallowing physiology and impairment. The custom-designed video animations accurately depict normal swallow physiology and provide clear examples of varying physiologic impairments of the swallow. Video controls allow for zoom, slow motion, pause, and frame-by-frame forward and reverse. Also new in this version is a brief audio-visual overview of normal swallow function.
Animations are of adult physiology and include:
• Normal Swallow, Lateral View
• Normal Swallow, A/P View
• Example of Penetration with Aspiration
• Impairment of Anterior Hyoid Excursion
• Impairment of Bolus Hold
• Impairment of Bolus Transport
• Impairment of Epiglottic Movement
• Impairment of Esophageal Clearance
• Impairment of Initiation of Pharyngeal Swallow
• Impairment of Laryngeal Elevation
• Impairment of Laryngeal Vestibular Closure
• Impairment of Lip Closure
• Impairment of Mastication
• Impairment of PES Opening
• Impairment of Pharyngeal Contraction
• Impairment of Pharyngeal Stripping Wave
• Impairment of Soft Palate Elevation
• Impairment of Tongue Base Retraction
• Animations depict adult physiology, including normal swallow.
• The animations included in this app accurately represent the anatomy and physiology of normal and impaired swallowing function. They were developed in conjunction with the evidence-based "Modified Barium Swallow Impairment Profile," or MBSImP.
• Rarely does one physiologic swallow impairment exist alone. This app highlights primary impairments, but co-existing impairments typically occur and the examples shown here are no exception.
• Available for iPhone and iPad.
- Fixed bug where the animation frames would appear out of order on some devices
Ratings and Reviews
Expected Much More from Northern Speech
As a student clinician, I was hoping to have purchased an app that I could use for reference, and show to patients. Northern Speech is such a great company with a wealth of resources, that I assumed this app would be no exception. I was disappointed that there were few videos, no vocal descriptions, and also not at least a brief structure description.
I’ve been using this app for years and still enjoy it. It provides so much info to my patients and their families on what I look for and how the swallow works. It provides great photos and a slow motion ability to help them understand all the structures involved in a safe swallow.
I use this for dysphasia patients before and after they go for a modified barium swallow study. Imagine trying to explain how the epiglottis works and it's function in swallowing. With this app you can show them and they understand this immediately it is clearer than the actual VF and this should be a required tool for all grad students. This is my favorite and most used app.
- Northern Speech Services, Inc
- 312.7 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2012-2017 Northern Speech Services, Inc
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.